Natty 64bit Philips Laser MFD LFF 6050
Mirto Silvio Busico
2011-08-07 10:30:33 UTC
Hi all,
I'm using Kubuntu Natty 10.04 AMD 64Bit.

I'm looking for the updated drivers for the Philips Laser MFD LFF 6050
multifuncion printer

Anyone knows how to install this printer/scanner?

What I tried up to now:

Philps claims that the multifunction is compatible with M$ Windows, MAC
and Linux.

In the MAC/Linux CD there are two folders (printer and scanner) for
Ubuntu (but from the docs seems for the 8,04 version or something similar)

I tried to install this software. When I connect the USB cable the
"installing a new printer" notification appears but the printer is not
installed.

In the "Printer management" --> "install new printer" appears an
"MFPrinter Laser Pro LL 2 3" (but only if the printer is switched on and
connected)

Trying to install this printer, I see that there is no Philips brand in
the PPD database; so I don't know how to proceed.

For the scanner quiteinsane is not able to find the device.

When the printer is connected the lsusb command finds a "sagem" device.
The "sudo lsusb" command says:

*Bus 002 Device 004: ID 079b:0094 Sagem *
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 04f2:b179 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04f3:0232 Elan Microelectronics Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0020 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub

Thanks in advance
Mirto
[...]
Updated driver pack
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-
bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=hr&ctn=LFF6050/INB
But the files on the cd might work

the device is a rebranded Sagem device

Extract the acrchive and poke around for the Ubuntu directory inside the
scanner folder and the printer/pcl6 folder. There are instructions inside each
on how to install. But I do not have this device so I cannot verify how well
it works

Clay
Mirto Silvio Busico
2011-08-07 15:33:00 UTC
Post by Clay Weber
Post by Mirto Silvio Busico
[...]
Thanks I'll try asap.

Mirto

Post by Mirto Silvio Busico
I'm using Kubuntu Natty 10.04 AMD 64Bit.
I don't know if it matters for your problem, but 10.04 would be Lucid
and Natty would be 11.04.
Post by Mirto Silvio Busico
I'm looking for the updated drivers for the Philips Laser MFD LFF
6050 multifuncion printer
Anyone knows how to install this printer/scanner?
Philps claims that the multifunction is compatible with M$ Windows,
MAC and Linux.
In the MAC/Linux CD there are two folders (printer and scanner) for
Ubuntu (but from the docs seems for the 8,04 version or something similar)
I found a driver package [1] on the philips site which is for Gutsy
(7.10), so it is even older. But looking at the contents, I would at
least try to install the printer the way it is described in the readme
file. Even though it isn't meant for your Kubuntu version, it is quite
likely that the installer works with the current version as well. First
run the installer for their proprietary driver and then install the
printer in CUPS. However the CUPS menues are different in the new
version, so you will probably have to search a bit for the right pages.
Post by Mirto Silvio Busico
I tried to install this software. When I connect the USB cable the
"installing a new printer" notification appears but the printer is
not installed.
I would just ignore that message - if it doesn't work, the automatic
installer probably doesn't know how to handle the proprietary driver for
this printer, which is necessary to make it work.

Nils

[1] <http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/l/lff6050_inb/lff6050_inb_dlx_eng.zip>
Mirto Silvio Busico
2011-08-07 15:37:35 UTC
Post by Nils Kassube
Post by Mirto Silvio Busico
I'm using Kubuntu Natty 10.04 AMD 64Bit.
I don't know if it matters for your problem, but 10.04 would be Lucid
and Natty would be 11.04.
Sorry I mean 11.04 Natty
Post by Nils Kassube
Post by Mirto Silvio Busico
[...]
Ok. I have done the gui install and then tried with the systemsettings.
Now I'll try usin directly CUPS.
Post by Nils Kassube
Post by Mirto Silvio Busico
I tried to install this software. When I connect the USB cable the
"installing a new printer" notification appears but the printer is
not installed.
I would just ignore that message - if it doesn't work, the automatic
installer probably doesn't know how to handle the proprietary driver for
this printer, which is necessary to make it work.
Ok
Post by Nils Kassube
Nils
[1] <http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/l/lff6050_inb/lff6050_inb_dlx_eng.zip>
Thanks
Mirto

[...snip...]

First of all, Clay and Nils thanks for your time.

The drivers are always the same of that on CD:
Philips support page (in English the italian page have no drivers):
http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/dcbint/cpindex.pl?slg=en&scy=hr&ctn=LFF6050/INB
Sagem support page (says it is good for ubuntu 9.10)
http://support.sagemcom.com/site/modele_fax.php?page=driver&prd=MFD6050/MFD6080&pays=it

The version always says:
# Installation script for Laser Pro LL2 PCL version 1.0.
# Produced using ESP Package Manager v4.1; report problems to
epm at easysw.com.
#%product Laser Pro LL2 PCL
#%vendor OEM
#%copyright 2008-07-23 OEM
#%version 1.0 1000000
#%description Laser Pro LL2 PCL
#%rootsize 118
#%usrsize 798

So I started to investigate how the LaserProLL2PCL.install works.

I've found that the last command is a link to a c++ library:

----
echo Running post-install commands...
ln -sf /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.9 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
echo Installation is complete.
----

I was not able to find this library in natty. I installed the
development framework (install module-assistant - issue an m-a prepare)
But I didn't find any libstdc++ library

I suppose that unti I find someting to link to the
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5 name the driver cannot work.

Do you know how to find this library?

Thanks
Mirto

[...]
copy & paste this into a terminal without the quotes:
'aptitude show libstdc++5'
(or if aptitude is not installed, 'apt-cache showpkg libstdc++5' )

You can also use your favoite package manager to find it.
That will show you it is available from the Ubuntu universe repository. It is then a simple matter of installing it.

Alan
Mirto Silvio Busico
2011-08-07 17:42:19 UTC
Hurray. The printer now works. The scanner is not detected, but I'll
start a new thread about this.

To use the printer:

1) change the install script to link the correct library:

echo Running post-install commands...
#ln -sf /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.9 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
*ln -sf /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6.0.14 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5*
echo Installation is complete.

2) Install the printer selecting the installed ppd file that is:
*/usr/share/ppd/openprinting/Laser_Pro_LL2.ppd*

(beware the PCL ppd file doesn't work)

Thanks to all
Mirto
Post by Mirto Silvio Busico
Hurray. The printer now works. The scanner is not detected, but I'll
start a new thread about this.
I believe that to get the scanner to work you need to look in
/etc/sane.d at the various .conf files and determine which one
corresponds to your device. In those files there are comments that tell
you what entry needs to be placed in the file to get sane to recognise
the device. For this command you will need the device id that lsusb
provided to you.

regards,
Steve