muon no longer asking for authentication (and failing)
Robert Marshall
2014-06-20 17:17:50 UTC
Starting with the update to apt of this week (and the problem occurring
on that update) when muon/apper informs me that there are upgrades, if I
view them and attempt to upgrade I no longer get asked for
authentication (my password) and then the upgrade fails because it
doesn't have (sudo) permissions :-(

I'm not aware of changing anything, has something else changed, is
anyone else seeing this?

Before this change a dialog used to pop up asking for my password, I
entered it and the update was done. For the moment I'm doing command
line `sudo apt-get upgrade`..

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son ch?teau d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/
Robert Marshall
2014-06-20 18:08:27 UTC
Post by Robert Marshall
Starting with the update to apt of this week (and the problem occurring
on that update) when muon/apper informs me that there are upgrades, if I
view them and attempt to upgrade I no longer get asked for
authentication (my password) and then the upgrade fails because it
doesn't have (sudo) permissions :-(
I'm not aware of changing anything, has something else changed, is
anyone else seeing this?
Before this change a dialog used to pop up asking for my password, I
entered it and the update was done. For the moment I'm doing command
line `sudo apt-get upgrade`..
Arrgh! should have added this is with 14.04

Robert
George Dvorak
2014-06-21 22:41:18 UTC
I was having similar problems and I went to /var/cache/apt/archives/ and
deleted the lock file and now all is well. Muon just gave up. Synaptic
pointed me at the problem. I wish that Kubuntu/KDE supported Synaptic
rather than their packages that do not work as well.

How do I switch Firefox from top posting?

On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 11:08 AM, Robert Marshall <robert at capuchin.co.uk>
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Robert Marshall
Starting with the update to apt of this week (and the problem occurring
on that update) when muon/apper informs me that there are upgrades, if I
view them and attempt to upgrade I no longer get asked for
authentication (my password) and then the upgrade fails because it
doesn't have (sudo) permissions :-(
I'm not aware of changing anything, has something else changed, is
anyone else seeing this?
Before this change a dialog used to pop up asking for my password, I
entered it and the update was done. For the moment I'm doing command
line `sudo apt-get upgrade`..
Arrgh! should have added this is with 14.04
Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son ch?teau d'eau
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by George Dvorak
I was having similar problems and I went to /var/cache/apt/archives/
and deleted the lock file and now all is well. Muon just gave up.
Synaptic pointed me at the problem. I wish that Kubuntu/KDE supported
Synaptic rather than their packages that do not work as well.
How do I switch Firefox from top posting?
Hi George,
As far as I am aware Synaptic runs fine in KDE, or it did the last
time I used it, which was some time ago though.

I don't use Firefox for mails, I use thunderbird, which is
configured to top post as well, but I just cursor down the page to the
area I want to input in, and press Enter which allows me to start typing
at that point. I would assume Firefox is no different.

regards,
Steve
Post by Stephen Morris
As far as I am aware Synaptic runs fine in KDE
It does, I seldom use Kubuntu, but when I use it, I usually prefer
Synaptic over command line.
Ralf Mardorf
2014-06-22 06:03:05 UTC
Firefox isn't the culprit, ask gmail.com how to set up their web thingy.
Robert Marshall
2014-06-22 15:20:54 UTC
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Robert Marshall
[...]
Thanks for this suggestion I see I also have a /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
file - dated Aug 22 2012 - maybe muon has only now started noticing it? I'm
deleting it and will see if the next update runs without problem!

Robert
George Dvorak
2014-06-23 05:29:21 UTC
On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Robert Marshall <robert at capuchin.co.uk>
-------------- next part --------------
Post by George Dvorak
On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 8:20 AM, Robert Marshall
I don't know what the reply was supposed to have been, but.............

KDE package management sucks. The first thing I do on a new install is
fire up a terminal and install synaptic. You have to do it in a terminal
because, in my experience, KDE package handlers can't find it. Synaptic
just works.

When update manager tells me I have "security updates available" I fire
up synaptic to get them.
--
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must. like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.-Thomas Paine

_ _... ..._ _
_._ ._ ..... ._.. ... .._

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
The first thing I do on a new install is fire up a terminal and
install synaptic.
Synaptic is a very good GUI, the only alternatives are ncurses and pure
command line. Aptitude and apt(-get) are good too. What to use depends
to the OP's needs. For Debian based disrtos such as the *buntus, I
wouldn't use anything else, than Synaptic, aptitude or apt(-get), an
sure, dpkg ;). I prefer the DEB package management over the RPM
management, but my favourite is the Arch Linux pacman way.
Robert Marshall
2014-06-23 16:53:07 UTC
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Robert Marshall
[...]
And just to log the fact that without the lock file (I've just double
checked to ensure it hasn't reappeared after deleting it yesterday) the
latest update also fails with muon with the libreoffice updates.

Running muon from the command line I see (obv without [gk]sudo):

Couldn't find the releasechecker script
/usr/bin/python3: can't find '__main__' module in ''
found error while replying QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs", "")
found error while replying QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs", "")
found error while replying QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied", "")
auth error reply!

Robert
George Dvorak
2014-06-24 00:20:10 UTC
I was writing a reply when kablooy my system blew up. What I wanted to say
was that apparently the lock file gets created and acquires a date and
time. After that the date and time does not change.

I was having problems that were fixed when I

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 9:53 AM, Robert Marshall <robert at capuchin.co.uk>
Post by George Dvorak
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by George Dvorak
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by George Dvorak
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by George Dvorak
Post by Robert Marshall
deleting it and will see if the next update runs without problem!
And just to log the fact that without the lock file (I've just double
checked to ensure it hasn't reappeared after deleting it yesterday) the
latest update also fails with muon with the libreoffice updates.
Couldn't find the releasechecker script
/usr/bin/python3: can't find '__main__' module in ''
found error while replying
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs", "")
found error while replying
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs", "")
found error while replying
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied", "")
auth error reply!
Robert
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Well, again as I was typing my screen disappeared and a partial message was
sent.

Deleting the lock file cured my problem. Looking at the file with a hex
editor does not reveal anything that I can understand.
Post by George Dvorak
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by George Dvorak
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by George Dvorak
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by George Dvorak
Post by Robert Marshall
deleting it and will see if the next update runs without problem!
And just to log the fact that without the lock file (I've just double
checked to ensure it hasn't reappeared after deleting it yesterday) the
latest update also fails with muon with the libreoffice updates.
Couldn't find the releasechecker script
/usr/bin/python3: can't find '__main__' module in ''
found error while replying
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs", "")
found error while replying
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.InvalidArgs", "")
found error while replying
QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied", "")
auth error reply!
Robert
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
<snipped partial reply>
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Robert Marshall
[...]
Having looked again I see I now have a lock file - my guess is that this
is a symptom of the problem rather than the actual problem - the date &
time on the file is the time when the latest install failure happened

-rw-r----- 1 root root 0 Jun 23 17:48 lock

but how did it create a file there with that ownership without the reqd
permissions? As my lock file is empty the contents are unlikely to be helpful!

Looking at /var/log/auth I see these 2 errors

Jun 23 17:47:55 myhost dbus[1059]: [system] Rejected send message, 0 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.59" (uid=0 pid=2775 comm="/usr/bin/python /usr/share/apt-xapian-index/update") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.684" (uid=1000 pid=31877 comm="muon ")
Jun 23 17:48:21 myhost dbus[1059]: [system] Rejected send message, 0 matched rules; type="method_return", sender=":1.59" (uid=0 pid=2775 comm="/usr/bin/python /usr/share/apt-xapian-index/update") interface="(unset)" member="(unset)" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination=":1.684" (uid=1000 pid=31877 comm="muon ")

Deleting the lock file and trying again just gives the same problem

Maybe I should be logging a bug...

Robert
--
La grenouille songe..dans son ch?teau d'eau