command for downloading a package to save
Steven Vollom
2009-06-13 21:05:57 UTC
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my ISP,
and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem. How can I
download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive and install it on
my infected computer? Thanks!

Steven
Willy K. Hamra
2009-06-13 21:30:58 UTC
Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my ISP,
and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem. How can I
download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive and install it on
my infected computer? Thanks!
Steven
a virus? on kubuntu? how can you be sure to make such a very serious claim?
--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems

Post by Willy K. Hamra
Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my
ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem.
How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive
and install it on my infected computer? Thanks!
Steven
a virus? on kubuntu? how can you be sure to make such a very serious claim?
How can you be so sure it isn't Willie? You just don't want to believe it.
I wish I knew what would happen. I would have saved his email to me.

His post seemed reasonable to me, but after I got his reply to my offer to help
him, I was convinced at the least that he was trouble. I sent him an email off
line because of what Myriam said. I needed to make sure I could help him
before I answered his need on the post. His reply was such a startling
implied threat that I didn't help further. My email to him was to find if he
had installed Jaunty and kde which I have considerable experience due to all
the help the list has provided me.

Why did the administrators and others imply concern for his post being
potential spam if everything was so in order about him. And what should I do
if he could potentially hurt you and others too. I realize now that you would
not open an attachment from a stranger, and I don't even know if I did,
however if that is the only way to get a virus from someone, It is very
possible that happened. What is most curious to me is that you seem to be
concerned for a potential hurt feeling more than a genuine concern for the
safety of the List. I have written enough about how and why I posted as I
did, I wish I kept a copy of my post, because my poor memory says I made my
post to the administrator ie. Myriam, and not to the List. Maybe that isn't
the way it was, but I am still sure I have a very crippling virus. It was put
in my computer withing a an hour or two of a fresh install and right after an
implied threat from the person you want to protect the feelings of.

I also believe that my comment was alleged, like is require by a newspaper to
keep from liability. It would be nice if someone would send my a copy of an
unconditional accusation by me that was written to the Kubuntu Users List and
not to an administration address. If there, as I seem to remember, then it
was not an open post. In any event, I will probably be exhonerated anyway if
I can manage to get software installed on the infected box, the virus
identified and the date of the fresh install of my Jaunty OS with relation to
the time my email was received from the party in question. Perhaps then you
will believe me.

The only part of my computer that was affected was every opening required to
send an email. The computer is currently running and playing a copy of
Quigley Down Under while I am writing this. Everything but email and internet
work on the computer and work well. Sound Quality is excellent, video is
impressive. and Dolphin works fine. However kpackagekit doesn't work, Synaptic
package manager doesn't work, No Konsole works. Nothing that requires
Internet access works.

Right after deleting the subject person's email, and act of self defense I
might add, I wrote my daughter an email. Her email address is
dawn at emiaphotographt.com; I clicked on send and got an error message that said
unable to send the email. I brought up the email to see if I made an address
error. I was looking for something like danw instead of dawn, something like
that. What showed was this dawn@ Yeshua at emiaphotography.com. At first I
didn't understand because Yeshua is the name of my computer, so I deleted the
@Yeshua and clicked on send again. I got the same warning could not send. I
looked at the address again. This time it was addressed like this:
dawn at emiaphotography--dot--com. Now I am getting concerned, because this is
about as likely caused by non-human intervention as having snow on the beaches
of the equator.

Nonetheless, I still tried to send the email and I removed the '--dot--' and
put in the '.' as is required and clicked send again. This time the server
responded that the sender was incorrect and it would continue trying to send
or place the email in drafts or something like that. I don't really remember
that accurately, however, I was given the opportunity to correct the problem
and try again.

This time I could find nothing to correct in configuration, and was stumped. I
tried to change the configuration in various ways, like removing ssl in the
sending option and putting port 10 in place of 465, and that also did not
work, but this time I got a message that there was a problem with the router.
The router has been working perfect for quite some time, however, I removed
the incoming cable from the router to DSL modem and made a direct connection
with the Internet via the DSL modem. I tried to send again hoping this would
resolve the problem at least temporarly. The response to the send came from
either kde or Jaunty, I know not, but it said to check the modem. I unplugged
the modem to try to reset it without success and contacted the ISP for help.
They finally gave up and suggested I use their Linux support service. The fee
for that was $100, which I could not afford, so I was stopped for a while.

I found my broken laptop and started to see if I could fix it so that I could
get on the Internet and use kmail. After trying to switch it on over and over
and over, it finally came on. I have not shut it off since, for fear of it not
starting again. Well, I immediately tried to connect to the Internet. It
connected suggesting nothing was wrong with the DSL modem. Then I connected
the router, and it worked perfectly. then I sent an email to my daughter and
it worked fine. Then I contacted the List for help.

Since I got connected I have received a dozen emails telling me I don't have a
virus and criticizing my handling of the problem. The only serious attempt at
help came from a friend on the net who at first chose to believe that I could
not possibly have a virus. Even now, those of you who may be able to advise
how I might download virus removal software so that I can make a copy of it
and install it on the infected computer have not made an offer of the
information. Since Internet connection is and has been required to install
any applications, and since I do not have that feature on my infected box, I
have to have an executable virus application on CD to fix the problem.

The last thing I did to try to correct my problem was to format the root drive
and re-install Jaunty again. I did that, but the virus prevailed again.

I understand how this was possible. It had to do with my recent moint point
choices. I mounted my partitions like this:

1st HDD 80gb

20gb /
2gb swap partition
58gb /home/steven/svpersonal

2nd HDD 200gb

100gb /home
99gb /home/steven/backup

This way if any application or the OS crashed so severly as to require re-
installation, I would not lose any data at all, excepting perhaps 3rd party
installations. (like wine and e-sword)

When I reinstall, I do not have to configure anything from kde because of this
setup. I never gave a virus a second thought, because like all of you, I see
it as an almost impossibility using the Linux syste. So that is how the virus
remained after reinstall. It is probably in the .kde folder somewhere.

This time to solve the problem without any help from the List, I have to lose
my data, because the virus has had the ability to invade all of my partitions
and I don't have virus protection to go find it and remove it.

The lack of help this time has extended to a point of rudeness and unqualified
criticism. No one has considered the possibility that I am telling the truth,
and that my actions were a kindness to the list by trying to prevent the
reocurrence in a fellow list member's computer. My sense of humor is all but
gone. I am a bit disappointed in myself because rather than fiinding an
alternate cure, I almost want the virus to be there so that you all can
consider the time I have lost due to no help. I am old. Right now, I have an
uncle and aunt that were operated on for different serious reasons when the
problem occurred, and although my prayers were often, I was unable to show my
support until I got this laptop working. Bad timing for two of the sweetest
people who ever lived.

I don't know how to deal with the priorities and concerns of the membership.
I can assure you if you got an email from the person in question with the
threatening implications you too would at least give a virus consideration.
And if you care for the other member of the list, you would try to help them
too. On this list there is no easy way to do this.

I understand the principal, it is kind of like supporting a mother who is
willing to kill her unborn rather than face the responsibility of raising the
child. It is the way of this world. But I will never support that kind of
thinking. I will never put the feelings of an individual above my desire to
protect the innocent people who are the beneficiaries of malicious virus', any
more than I will follow the majority on the issue of abortion. If you read
this email, I can not believe you don't see the probable sign of virus
infection. And if you have a suggestion that could help prove it something
else, why have you not contributed. Clay of the administration has threatened
to filter my posts. Maybe how you guys thing is right, but I will never change
when it comes for my freedoms, like freedom of speech, or any of the moral
issues that we fact.

You all have a pretty good idea of my character; you may not approve of my
decisions, but I don't believe even those of you who don't particularly like
me think I am carelessly making accusations. It is just an opportunity to
take a shot at me. I really don't care, but the police-like behavior of the
moderators is the reason for the declining readership, not me.

Without a helpful solution to my problem it has generated a dozen responses.
That at least keeps the list active.

When I tried to help this guy, He and I were the only ones on the list, I
believe. And for about 10 or 12 hours I didn't see any activity. How do I
know, I needed help and was patiently waiting for it. I had to have help
before I could continue my other work. When I am getting help, there seems to
be a lot of activity, when the police are criticizing the faithful, readership
diminishes. Look at the size of this email. It has to be, because you can't
give me the benefit of the doubt.

If you saved the post where I accused this guy, I would appreciate a copy, I
deleted everything that related to him before I started the burhaha. I
believe I put him in the alleged category. I also think the email that
eventually surface with my name on the post was posted not from me but from
Clay on the Administrative side. I could be wrong, but I thought the email
where I used the guy's name was directed not the kubuntu-users at lists.com but
to an address that had another descriptor relating to administration between
users and the @ sign. If that is true, I did nothing wrong by anyone;s
standard, I just don't remember. But the email I got from him made my
concern very real. I love you guys, I really do. When a kid, there was a
phrase, "sticks and stone can break my bones, but words can never harm me."

That is no longer the norm. As a result we have given up our freedom of
speech. In truth I know that I never said anything about the guy even
privately that concerns me about his feelings. I am a little disappointed in
some of my friends though. We concern ourselves about irrelevant stuff and
ignore our loss of freedoms. I am confident that among you who have been my
friend on the list many are in agreement. If not, I don't want to be any part
of the List.

I still love and respect you Willy. If you know what is wrong and it
definitely is not a virus, please point me in the right direction. If you
don't have any ideas, but know how to download an application without
installing it at the same time, so I can make a CD of it, please provide. If
I have blown it with you guys again I am sorry, but I really can't become
something I am not. If that isn't good enough, ok.

And that my friend is why I am confident that he put a virus in my computer.
It couldn't have been anyone else, because of the reinstall, and it happened
precisely after his email to me.

I would just love for anyone to prove me wrong.

Steven
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my
ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem.
How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive
and install it on my infected computer?
Even now, those of you who may be
able to advise how I might download virus removal software so that I can
make a copy of it and install it on the infected computer have not made an
offer of the information.
Steven,

I have already - 4 or 5 hours ago - told you how to run a virus checker on
your "infected" computer using a live CD, and someone else has told you how
to do it by downloading the relevant .debs and transferring them onto
the "infected" computer with a USB key. Eberhard has offered to help you
sort out your network.

No-one on this list has an obligation to help you. Once is often enough to
ask, twice if you are really pushed. Since you do not accept the advice you
are given, why should people go on giving it?

Lisi
Steven Vollom
2009-06-16 22:20:11 UTC
Post by Mark Greenwood
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Steven Vollom
[...]
I am so sorry Lisi. It is never that I don't accept the advice, it is that I
don't understand the advice. I have too much respect for you to be that way.

Clay, who frustrated the blazes out of me responded to an email where several
others sent responses they thought I should have. They tried to move me to a
GUI when I wanted to divide a large avi file using avisplit.

So here is Clay, a guy I was just a bit curt with helping me just the way I
need help. He made an example for me. Just a glance at the example was all I
needed to learn the process. But an example is a picture to me, in this case
a picture of words, but a picture. That is the way right-brained people
learn. It is kind of like when you teach a baby words, you take a picture of
a duck and say duck. The visual association teaches the child.

I spent over 50 years of my life exclusively in the right-brain. I was almost
a hermit. All i did was make art, talk art. In my spare time I made art. It
was all I did. Most artists have a dual life that involves art and other
stuff. The kind of thing you spend your life doing.

When it came to avisplit, everyone seemed to want to guide me to a GUI,
apparently because being a visual person perhaps they thought that was the way
to go, but it wasn't the right way for me.

I spent hours trying to understand man pages. They don't make any sense to
me. but when anyone gives me an example of what the man pages is teaching, I
immediately see the lesson. That brief example that Clay provided was equal
to one of these 30 post solutions for me. I saw it like a painting, and
although it was all words, it worked with my thought process.

Sometimes people will accuse me of making snap judgments where all the
elements to a situation are visible. If I see it in totality I have an
instant answer, not a snap judgment just an answer. I have been struggling to
change the way I see things for 20 years now with computers, because I just
love it, but when I describe how I take in information, logical thinkers
(which make up the computer industry) can not relate. It is happening in this
situation; it happens all the time. Much as I try, i haven't yet been able to
change. Either I will, or I will become an expert in visual computer work.

If you could see me do what I am good at, you would be surprised. Fellow
artists who don't have my particular gift will have me evaluate a painting
they are making but troubled about something in it that they cannot see. They
may struggle for weeks before calling. I walk in the room and say something
like this did you realize the hand on that woman is the size of a child. All
it takes for me is a glance, I hear an arg!!!!!! and paint is flying. They
paint out their work and don't even say good by. Next time I see them, I get
the,"I just don't know how I could have done that, and how is it that you can
see it so fast?" The answer is, I don't know. But I don't know why I can't
read a man page and see what they are trying to tell me either. Yet when I
receive the information in a way that I can understand, is seconds I
understand what I couldn't learn when taught in logical terms.

It doesn't just frustrate you, Lisi. I know you are doing your darnedest to
help me. I am grateful beyond your understanding, but I am not guilty of what
you have deduced, I just say I am dumb, that puts the problem on me, but it
really isn't so.

I used to sit and watch the older, slower computers defrag, I could see the
changing patters as the boxes were put in order. it was as entertaining as
watching a movie to me, but it drove another friend nuts. He couldn't see the
purpose. I couldn't answer him either, but I could predict things from what I
saw that happened as I predicted. I would like to be a little more logical
though, even though for speed's sake visual instruction is a whole lot faster.

Do you remember the tests in school where they had all different versions of
shapes and you had to figure out which fit in and which could be excluded to
give you the right answer. I could answer those tests as fast as I could
write and always got 100%. At a glance I saw what fit and what did not fit.

That is my problem about the virus. You all know so much more than I that I
cannot argue with you, But there were a sequence of things that happened one
after another that breaks the boundaries of logic to be something else. For
me it is as clear as noticing the size of the woman's hand. At a glance so
much information came together screaming, this has order, this is human
manipulated, a zillion to one it could be anything else. I will probably be
wrong, I am much of the time, but the odds of it not being as I think go
beyond logic.

Whatever your faith, Jesus being or not being the CHRIST, using an open book
test, and by that I mean he had all the answers in advance and all he had to
do is do the things on the list to be the CHRIST. It seems like anyone could
fulfill prophecy if they knew in advance the things they do to qualify, but
Prophecy said he would be born in Bethlehem, what? a village of a couple
hundred people, a thing he had fulfill do as he was being born. That one
condition of prophecy eliminated almost everyone. I won't go on, because
religion can anger people, But if you just think about that one little bit of
prophecy, of which he performed 431 known fulfillments of prophecy eliminated
almost all of the Jewish population by the single act. That is the way my
mind receives informations, huge globs of stuff that either make sense or
don't. It is images of harmony and or balance. If it looks like too much is
on the right for balance, I immediately see that, so you have to add something
to the left to put it back in balance, or hang the painting with the right
side lower than the left, and even then it comes into balance even though it
doesn't look like everything esle in the room.

The more I learn about computers, the more I see the necessity for balance.
When computers become gasses with circuits on particles of vapor, harmony and
balance is what will make them work, not pragmatic calculations. Magnatism,
heat, things like that will determine their function. I can't remember the
particle, but let's call it a quark just because they exist. But the particle
I am thinking of is everywhere at the exact same time, it is moving so fast.
At the point transistors are made that small computers will answer questions
almost before they are asked. You won't have time to click a mouse. And beam
me up, Scottie will be a reality.

Please try to believe that I try to do as told. I am never lazy or stubborn,
nothing you might expect, I am simply unable to SEE what you are trying to
tell me. You are precious to me my friend, I hope I don't frustrate you too
much.

Steven
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Steven
Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my ISP,
and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem. ?How can I
download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive and install it on
my infected computer? ?Thanks!
Steven
I doubt that it is a virus that is blocking you from Internet. My
sugestion is to search for other cause why you cant use e-mail or
download. Do you get a IP from your router? Can you ping it? Can you
ping your ISP? Do you get right IP for your DNS and is the
route/gateway right? What errors do you get when trying to send e-mail
and download and what programs are you using?

/ Jonas
Steven Vollom
2009-06-14 18:42:15 UTC
Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my
ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem.
How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive
and install it on my infected computer? Thanks!
Steven
I doubt that it is a virus that is blocking you from Internet. My
sugestion is to search for other cause why you cant use e-mail or
download. Do you get a IP from your router? Can you ping it? Can you
ping your ISP? Do you get right IP for your DNS and is the
route/gateway right? What errors do you get when trying to send e-mail
and download and what programs are you using?
/ Jonas
I no longer have any communication with the Internet. The signal is stopped
at the modem.

I will accept and try any solutions you may provide, You all just say I don't
have a virus, you give no tests that I can make to see if it is anything else.
I am willing to try anything. All the recommendations made require an
Internet connection. I can not get one on that computer. It doesn't even
recognize the hardware anymore.

Reverse order of problem

Lost connection to the DSL modem. The modem still works fine. I am using it
now on my laptop.

Lost connection to router.

lost connection to server.

Misdirected send address dawn at ***@emiphotography.com

Misdirected send address '.' to '--dot--' dawn at emiaphotography--dot--com

Erased all communication of sender.

Implied threat in email trying to help sender.

Tried to find his need, off list, due to Myriam's request that I not help unless
I am sure.

Sent email off list to see more specifics to see if I could help.

Replied off List to someone in need of help on a day when no one else was
monitoring the List. Check the day. I think maybe my post and his for a
period of maybe 12 hours. I may be wrong, but it was that kind of day.

That is my best recollection.

Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my ISP,
and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem. How can I
download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive and install it on
my infected computer? Thanks!
Steven
Steven,

You automatically assume that a Virus is the cause of every computer problem you have. Since you're using Linux this is very, very, unlikely. Indeed the symptoms you're describing are not the sort of thing I'd expect a virus to cause. A more likely explanation is that your ISP is having temporary problems. You may just need to wait a while and see if things start working again. Also, try to think of anything you might have changed - is the router switched on for instance, or have you changed any settings? Ask yourself logical questions, don't automatically blame a Virus, I very much doubt that's anything to do with your problems.

Mark
Martin Laberge
2009-06-14 01:55:26 UTC
Post by Mark Greenwood
Post by Steven Vollom
[...]
To catch a Windows virus, and infect a Linux computer,
is not unlikely, it is Impossible.

Just find something else to blame, your Linux computer
DID NOT have been infected by a windows virus.

Even if you received the virus in your mail

Even if you just did not resist to click on it and try to run it.

If you have Wine installed, then the windows virus opened in wine,
would infect only your wine environment, not your linux environment.
--
Martin Laberge
mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
mlsoftlaberge at hotmail.com
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
Cell:(418)575-2945
*** 30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning... ***
Steven Vollom
mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
mlsoftlaberge at hotmail.com
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
Cell:(418)575-2945
*** 30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning... ***
I have exhausted that path of action. My first step was to see if the ISP
could help me. They could not.

Yes, originally I was on a router. It was one of the paths that was blocked
about the 3rd stage of new events.

First: @Yeshua was added between senders name and their @whatever.com
Next after deleting the added data and resending, the dot between their server
and com changed from '.' to '--dot--'. Then the name of sender was sent to
the server different from my configuration. It remained correct in my
configuration, so I don't know what it was changed to, but the server kept
sending an error message that the sender was wrong and needed to be corrected.
And lastly it started to slow mouse activity on Gmail an internet application
I use from time to time. Between mousclicks from 10 to 30 minutes would take
place before the link to a new location was made. By that I mean if I clicked
on 'send' to see if an email was sent, I would have to wait from 10 to 30
minutes before the action would take place. When 30 minutes, it would time
out three times. I never waited longer than that. I was only willing to make
these long waits, because it was my only possible connection to help.
Eventually that capability stopped working too and I could not get any signal
to the dsl modem.

I then took my old broken laptop and monkeyed with its power switches until
finally it came on again. I have not shut it off for the past couple of days,
for fear that it would not start again. That is what happened to it before.
But I have email on my laptop. I am connected by cable to the dsl modem.
Both browser and email function normally.

What does it sound like if not a virus?

Post by Mark Greenwood
Post by Steven Vollom
[...]
Please give me a break. If it isn't a virus, contribute a solution. I have
repeated what has happened fifty times about now. If you read the description
of how the system went down, and can explain what could have happened other
than your same 'it couldn't happen on Linux' well it did. No one including
you gives me any advice of how to correct the problem, and this isn't the first
time you sent this answer. I have heard it from others too. I may be wrong,
but just saying Linux rarely gets virus' or it isn't common doesn't work.

Here goes read and give your explanation then.

I was monitoring the list a couple days ago with a question. No one answered.
I was waiting about 10 hours with no response. Every couple of minuted I
requested get mail with nothing on the server. Very unusual. Then Luis puts
his request on the board. It looked like something I might be able to help
with, but Myriam has suggested I not make recommendations unless I am sure
that my help is correct. So I wrote Luis an email requesting more specifics
like was his OS jaunty, did he use KDE so I would know if my knowledge might
help. No one was on the List at the time, and I thought how much I would just
like someone to answer when waiting a long time.

His response was threatening by its wording an I concluded he was not a
friend, so I immediately deleted his email. I also removed every email that
came from him and went about my business. An hour or so later, I tried to
write my daughter. When the email did not send, I checked to see that I put
the correct address on her email. When I looked at it, it said:

dawn at ***@emiaphotography.com. The @Yeshua was included and should not be
there; Yeshua is the name of my computer. So I deleted the @Yeshua and tried
to resend. This time it was refused too, so I checked again. This time the
email was addressed like this:

dawn at emiaphotography--dot--com.

Recapitulation:

correct address: dawn at emiaphotography.com
First sent as: dawn at ***@emiaphotographylcom
Next sent as: dawn at emiaphotography--dot--com

The next time I corrected the mailing address, the server responded that the
senders name was wrong and to correct it, It would hold the email in the
outbox until sent or the problem corrected.

I checked to see if the configuration had been changed; it had not. So this
was an unfixable problem. I called the ISP and they could not help with the
problem. I could not afford their Linux support, so I was stopped there. The
fee was $100+.

Next I got a warning that my router was improperly connected. It was
connected properly, so I connected the incoming line directly to the DSL
modem. When I tried to connect that way it did not succeed, but I still had
the Internet connected, so I remembered a rarely used gmail account I had set
up to receive mail and directly move it to my kmail client. I opened and sent
an email to the List and was told I had to be a member. The other account
used a pseudonym for my name so I wrote the administrator, trying to get hold
of Myriam. I again was told to join the list, so I joined the list as
Shabakthanai which is my pseudonym. I got an email through to administration
and was sent in return chastisement for what sounded like hijacking a post.
Since my email was not a post but an inquiry for help from Myriam, I tried but
in-affectively couldn't handle the bruhaha that followed that email.

The next step in the problem was to not be able to connect to the Internet at
all. With no way to get help, I found an old laptop that was broken and
proceeded to try to get it working again. After a long while, I got a screen,
hooked up Internet and contacted the List. So far no one gives the problem
any serious thought, because it is very rare to have Linus affected by a virus.
And rather than even consider that I have a virus, no one even attempts to
help. I do not get advice of commands that might reveal anything or methods
of repairing internal problems. I tried kdesudo dpkg --configure -a and sudo
dpkg --configure -a; I tried renaming .kdeold and booting to a new desktop;
then I formatted the boot partition and reinstalled Jaunty kde.

Nothing changed.

This would perhaps indicate there is no virus, however, I recently established
new mount points for my partitions designed to make them invulnerable to
system crashes and application crashes that required reinstallation.

I named them as follows:

80gb HDD

20gb /

2gb swap

58gb /home/steven/svprivate

200gb HDD

100gb /home
99gb /home/steven/backup

Now all partitions are home partitions separate from the boot drive OS and
applications. This works excellent, by the way, excepting if you get a virus.

Anyway after reinstalling, (if I had a virus) the virus immediately went from
the home drive back into the OS or wherever it went, because the problem
persists.

I am going to save this for the next person that says I don't have a virus and
to forget it. And by forgetting it what do you suggest, scrap the computer.
Format all HDDs and start over. I will if I have to, but some of the data is
very important to me, and it is on a separate partition but still vulnerable
to a virus, I suspect, so I just write it off to additional experience.

I frankly don't care if virus attacks on Linux only happen to one in a
million. If I have one, should I just ignore it. What explains the behavior
of my computer is not a virus. I am open to just about anything.

Thanks!

Steven
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Hi Steven,

OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions. You have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus. Now I don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your computer knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with that, and I'll help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of problems, not baseless conclusions made without supporting evidence. The fact that you are having email problems does not mean you have a virus. It *might* mean that, but if it were me it would be the last thing I would check. The way to solve a computer problem is:

1. First, accurately describe the problem without making *any* assumptions.
2. Try to establish what the most obvious offending item is in that description and start from there.

This email is the first one you've sent that actually gives a detailed description on exactly what the problem is. So now, finally, we are getting somewhere.

The first thing I would do is to examine very, very, closely every single part of my email client (which I am guessing for you is KMail) - check every single bit of configuration and look for the word 'Yeshua' or any options related to 'hostname' or 'domain' or 'localhost' and just try changing them to see if makes any difference. I would change *one thing at a time*, and make sure I noted down what it was originally set to. After trying each setting change, I would revert it back to its original setting before trying the next. This is what I would do if, like you, I didn't fully understand what all the settings mean.

For your benefit, here is how you could install Klamav:
On your working laptop, do
sudo apt-get install klamav.
This may install more than one package. It will tell you their names. Make a note of them.
Once it has finished. Look in /var/cache/apt/archives
In that folder you will find the packages that have just been installed. Copy them to a USB stick and copy them onto your other computer in /home/steven
Now do
cd /home/steven
and
sudo dpkg -i <name of package>
where you should replace <name of package> with the filename of the package to install.
You should install them in the same order as they were installed on your other computer.

This should work for you. If it finds a virus I will post a picture of myself eating my own hat.

Mark
Steven
Donn
2009-06-14 19:12:31 UTC
Post by Mark Greenwood
If it finds a virus I will post a picture of myself eating my own hat.
This is Steven you are challenging. If anything can go wrong, it will for him!
So, get your hat made out of chocolate or cake because you may have to eat it!

\d
--
home: http://otherwise.relics.co.za/
2D vector animation : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/things/
Font manager : https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/fontypython/
Steven Vollom
2009-06-15 09:35:57 UTC
Trim
Post by Mark Greenwood
1. First, accurately describe the problem without making *any* assumptions.
I wrote my daughter an email. Her address is dawn at emiaphotography.com. The
mail program said it could not send check the address. I checked the address
and it was: dawn at ***@emiaphotography.com. I deleted the '@Yeshua' and
clicked send again. The mail program said it could not send check the
address. I checked the address and this time it was dawn at emiaphotography--
dot--com. I removed the '--dot--' and clicked send. This time the computer
replied that there was a problem with the sender. I checked the configuration
for me as sender and confirmed that it was unchanged and as it should be.
Because everything was configured properly, I had no option to choose from.

I have a gmail account for communication with strangers that I do not yet
trust. I went to the gmail site and tried to send an email to the list
administrator, not the list. They would not reply because they said I had to
register. I explained I was registered as stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net. They
declined to respond, so I joined as Shabakthanai, my gmail pseudonymOn Sunday
Post by Mark Greenwood
Hi Steven,
OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement
that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to
back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions. You
have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus. Now I
don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your computer
knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with that, and I'll
help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of problems, not
baseless conclusions made without supporting evidence. The fact that you
are having email problems does not mean you have a virus. It *might* mean
that, but if it were me it would be the last thing I would check. The way
@gmail.com. I also found a place to send an email and told my opinion of
what happened with Luis. I don't remember getting any reply on that email
until I got the laptop working and contacted the list for help.
Post by Mark Greenwood
Hi Steven,
OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement
that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to
back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions. You
have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus. Now I
don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your computer
knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with that, and I'll
help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of problems, not
baseless conclusions made without supporting evidence. The fact that you
are having email problems does not mean you have a virus. It *might* mean
that, but if it were me it would be the last thing I would check. The way
Please understand I cannot duplicate the procedure, because I no longer have a
connection to the Internet. I wrote myself a test email addressed to me from
me with :) in the subject and xxxxxxxxxxxx in the body. I clicked send and
the computer replied something about no connection to the router. Those are
not the correct words, however, it was a comment about the router and that it
was not working properly. Then I was stopped again. So I decided to connect
the computer directly to the DSL modem. When connected, I sent myself an
email. This time it said something to the fact that the DSL connection was
not working.
Post by Mark Greenwood
Hi Steven,
OK.. the point is that in your original email you have made a statement
that a virus has infected you. You say this but you have no evidence to
back up that assumption. This is what I mean by jumping to conclusions. You
have seen a problem and have just decided that it must be a virus. Now I
don't mean to offend, but you know as well as I do that your computer
knowledge is not all that good. I don't have a problem with that, and I'll
help - but to help you I need accurate descriptions of problems, not
baseless conclusions made without supporting evidence. The fact that you
are having email problems does not mean you have a virus. It *might* mean
that, but if it were me it would be the last thing I would check. The way
Currently I use the broken computer to handle boredom when I have to wait for
a response or need a break from the problem. It works fine to play movies or a
couple of card games I play from time to time. The applications work
excepting anything that requires the Internet, so I have only used the broken
computer for entertainment purposes. When working the email problem, many
times the mouse reaction is very slow. It works pretty normal otherwise.

I have reinstalled the OS 5 times recently for various reasons, so configuring
KMail became very easy. I run through the process about as fast as I can type
and when finished connect and download immediately. I haven't had to correct a
step in configuration for 5 or 6 installations. I compared configuration with
the laptop which is obviously configured correctly and they are identical. I
typed all the configuration out on and odt. but it is on the broken computer ,
so unless it allows me to use a thumb drive, I can't copy it except longhand.

When I attempted to put ipconfig on an odt, I copied it to the flash drive, but
when I put the flash in the laptop it was not there. It was in the flash drive
when it was still in the broken computer though.

I erased the threatening email I got from Luis and can't remember its content.
All I remember is that it was an implied threat that made stop wanting to help
him. My email that preceded his reply was something to the effect that Myriam
did not want me to give advice unless I was very sure about the help. I asked
him what version of Kubuntu he had installed and whether it was gnome or kde.
I asked him what media he wanted to play so I could understand if he wanted to
install the restricted extras. He is a Mexican, so I did not know if there
were any treaties relating to th medibuntu and restricted extras. His reply
was I can only say implied threat. It was strong enough to worry about him
being a hacker and purveyer of virus'. The content of the email was not
consistent with his prior request. I was only going to help him if he
installed Jaunty kde anyway, and he never answered my questions in the email.
And that is why I have virus on the brain, coupled with all the problems that
immediately happened with the computer after communicatiing with him.
Unfortunately I don't remember any attachments, but my mind is not sure on
that point.

At this point I was isolated. I did not have any way to connect to the
Internet, no one to help me, and not a clue what to do next. The only other
computer I have is my laptop and it would not turn on. My guess was that the
switch is damaged, but I tried moving the power supply connector in and out
trying to get a contact and about 100 tries with the on/off switch. Finally it
blinked and came on. I have not shut it off since. It may not turn on again
for a few weeks like the last time.
Post by Mark Greenwood
2. Try to establish what the most obvious offending item is in that
description and start from there.
The first thing I would do is to examine very, very, closely every single
part of my email client (which I am guessing for you is KMail) - check
every single bit of configuration and look for the word 'Yeshua' or any
The only place Yeshua appears in the configuration is under 'Edit Identity
"steven vollom" - KMail. It is under the general tab. The entries are as
follows:

Your name: Steven Vollom
Email Address: stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net

My account name is always my email address. That instruction came from the
ISP. I checked every entry letter by letter. I triple checked. I checked
every entry with the laptop configuration, side by side. I suppose I could
have made a mistake, I am so good at it, but I have been so thorough that
repeating the process would be overkill.
Post by Mark Greenwood
options related to 'hostname' or 'domain' or 'localhost' and just try
The only place the work Host is used is: Host: smtp.att.yahoo.com
that is the way it is supposed to be.
Post by Mark Greenwood
changing them to see if makes any difference. I would change *one thing at
a time*, and make sure I noted down what it was originally set to. After
trying each setting change, I would revert it back to its original setting
before trying the next. This is what I would do if, like you, I didn't
fully understand what all the settings mean.
The only other thing I tried, but it did not work anyway is, I changed the
smtp port to 10 and removed the SSL. That is the way it used to be before
adding SSL.. It did not work though.

trim
Steven

KMail configuration is so simple anymore, I don't know how to change the
entries. You said change them one at a time. I couldn't think of anything to
change them to other than what they are supposed to be, so I just carefully
verified that all the settings were exactly the same as on the laptop which
works perfectly. Thanks for the help.

I haven't doen the Klamav thing yet, but I just have to, just in case there IS
a virus. I very much want to see a picture that make laugh to tears.

Cordially, all,

Steven THANKS
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Steven Vollom
Trim
Post by Mark Greenwood
[...]
This re-enforces my suspicion from my last e-mail @ 5:49 that he is switching
from static IP to dynamic ip and vice versa and not configuring the computer to
accept the change.

Unless someone can figure out a way to walk Steven through the basics of how a
network works and a proper network setup step by step via e-mail, I think this
is going to be a long long LONG thread that will get nowhere.
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
Donn
2009-06-15 10:38:11 UTC
Post by David McGlone
Unless someone can figure out a way to walk Steven through the basics of
how a network works and a proper network setup step by step via e-mail, I
think this is going to be a long long LONG thread that will get nowhere.
Perhaps the output from /etc/network/interfaces will help?

\d
David McGlone
2009-06-15 10:46:03 UTC
Post by Donn
Post by David McGlone
Unless someone can figure out a way to walk Steven through the basics of
how a network works and a proper network setup step by step via e-mail, I
think this is going to be a long long LONG thread that will get nowhere.
Perhaps the output from /etc/network/interfaces will help?
Yeah, that will help, but then it may also open a whole new can of worms.
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
Donn
2009-06-15 11:37:54 UTC
Post by David McGlone
Yeah, that will help, but then it may also open a whole new can of worms.
Yeah. Know what you mean.

\d
Steven Vollom
2009-06-17 03:16:42 UTC
Post by David McGlone
Post by Donn
Post by David McGlone
Unless someone can figure out a way to walk Steven through the basics
of how a network works and a proper network setup step by step via
e-mail, I think this is going to be a long long LONG thread that will
get nowhere.
Perhaps the output from /etc/network/interfaces will help?
Yeah, that will help, but then it may also open a whole new can of worms.
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
Eberhard just pointed out something that may be relevant. A comment was
posted to consider resetting the defaults on the router. Eberhard warned that
it might screw up things if I did that. It brought a memory from about a year
ago when I wanted the router to work wirelessly. It was before I found the
list.

Someone advised I reset the router, and I think I did. But since then I have
had a long period of time when the router has been used like a hub where two
computers can access the internet and email.

Still nothing was changed before or during the problem. Until the computer
suggested the router was no longer operable, it was connected. At that point,
I simply unplugged it from the modem and made direct connection from computer
to modem. That is the way it is now. It is NOT connected to the router.
Hope this information adds light. Thanks for your on-going effort.

Steven
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Steven Vollom
Trim
Post by Mark Greenwood
[...]
I just read your comment. I don't know the difference between static and
dynamic. But I haven't been changing the method of connection at all. So how
could I be switching from one to the other. When the problem happened there
were no changes made in how I was connected to the Internet. It was connected
just unplugged the cable from the router to the modem and connected the cable
that was attached to the back of the computer to the modem. A direct
connection not using the router. Until the problem occurred, I connected
through the router, After the computer told me there was a problem with the
router connection, I connected the computer directly to the Modem. But the
problem we are trying to fix happened when I still was connected to the router.
It had been that way for several months.

What I thought was a virus attacking my computer happened to a system that had
been working well for a long time through a router. The router was not
configured to be used wirelessly, in fact I did not make any settings when I
connected it, I simply connected a cable from the modem to the router and
cables from two separate computer to two of the receptacles on the back of the
router. I did not know what I was doing, I just did it, and it worked. I was
able to access the internet with 2 computers, both email and browser. That
was the reason I installed it and it worked. It was that way until the
problem I relate as infection occurred. While infected it still worked OK
through the router. But without reason, the computer produced an error
message on screen that said there was a problem with the router. Since I only
had one computer attached at the time, I simply connected a cable from the
modem directly to the computer. That is the way it is now. The laptop works
fine I have seen this topic discussed by others, and I don't understand what
is peculiar in my description. It would not surprise me if I hooked up
something different from it normally is done, but if it works for me, I have
had no reason to question it. Nonetheless, when two computers were attached
at the same time and working normally, one computer that remained connected
still worked fine after the other computer was disconnected. That is the way
the computer was when the problem happened. Only one computer was connected,
but it was connected to the router. The router was connected to the modem and
the modem was connected and still is connected to the Internet.

When the computer produced an error message that the router was not working, I
simply removed the router and connected directly to the modem. That is the
way it is now.

I am trying very hard to make myself understood. I hope I succeeded this
time. I am sorry it is so tough to translate what I am saying into logic.

Steven
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Steven Vollom
Trim
Post by Mark Greenwood
[...]
Ok I'll try to explain, we don't know if you have your router set to assign
your computer a dynamic IP or a static IP. So this means if you had your
computer set to a static IP, then, when you connect your computer directly to
the modem, your modem is trying to assign your computer a dynamic IP and it
can't do so, because your NIC is only set to a certain IP for your network
which is a static IP.

For instance I have 4 computers on my network, I configured each of the NIC's
on my computers to have a static IP 192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.3, 192.168.2.4 and
192.168.2.5. Ok now given this info, the computer 192.168.2.3 is a wireless
computer, If I were ever to take that computer and hook it directly to my DSL
modem, it wouldn't work, because I have it set to a static IP. In order to be
able to make this computer work with a direct connection to my DSL modem, I
would have to set my NIC on that computer to receive a dynamic IP.

Did that help?
Post by Steven Vollom
I am trying very hard to make myself understood. I hope I succeeded this
time. I am sorry it is so tough to translate what I am saying into logic.
I understand. But I've pleaded with you to get the basics down first before
venturing into stuff like this.

I hope this helps clear some of the confusion up for you.
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
Steven Vollom
2009-06-19 15:34:26 UTC
(Trim)
Post by David McGlone
[...]
Did that help?auto lo
iface to inet loopback
127.0.0.1
net mask 255.0.0.0
Post by David McGlone
Post by Steven Vollom
I am trying very hard to make myself understood. I hope I succeeded this
time. I am sorry it is so tough to translate what I am saying into logic.
I understand. But I've pleaded with you to get the basics down first before
venturing into stuff like this.
When I first connected the computer to the router which was several months ago,
I got help from the list. It was connected that way until the recent problem
happened and worked fine all that time. It wasn't until the problem that I
related to as virus that I disconnected the computer from the router and
connected it to the modem directly. I only did this because of the errorauto
lo
iface to inet loopback
127.0.0.1
net mask 255.0.0.0 message Unknown Host when trying to connect to the browser
and the error message generated by the computer that I had a router problem.
I haven't been playing around with the router or networking at all. I do not
know anything about it and can only get things to function with help from
someone who knows about such things.

At the time I got help connecting to the router many months, it was to connect
two computers, neither a laptop. to get Internet connection for browser and
email at the same time. I have since used it for my laptop, but not as a
wireless connection. It is connected using an ethernet cable, and has worked
just fine.

Earlier today, I was asked to check the /etc/network/interfaces was as
follows"

auto lo
iface to inet loopback
127.0.0.1
net mask 255.0.0.0

The addresses were not present only the first 2 lines.

I edited and saved as they wanted and booted.

I attempted to connect using a browser, but got the same error message Unknown
Host.

I was then told to add to the above entry as follows:

auto lo
iface to inet loopback
127.0.0.1
net mask 255.0.0.0

autuo eth0
iface etho inet dhcp

Again rebooted and tried connection with the same result Unknown Host.

The current settings for /etc/network/interfaces is as last shown in this
email.

Also, today, I set up the connections as they were when the problem started.

I connected a LAN cable from the modem to the WAN port on the D-Link router.
I connected a LAN cable from one of the other ports of the router to the
laptop and a LAN calble from another port of the router to the broken
computer. I unplugged the D-Link router from the power source for 30 seconds
and reconnected. I booted the computer and tried connecting to the Internet.
Unknow Host as a result. I then depressed the reset button and held it down
for a slow count of ten and tried again with the same result. Of course I
currently with a direct connection from the laptop to the modem again so I can
send this email.

Steven
Post by David McGlone
I hope this helps clear some of the confusion up for you.
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Steven,

What, if any, programs did you install just before the problem started.??

I know you were working on e-Sword just before but did you install
_ANYTHING_ other than that?

I may not be the sharpest tack in the box but from what little I know
about Linux and virii you would have to manually, knowingly, purposely
install it yourself. [ Someone correct me me if I'm wrong ]

Steps to install a virus: [ presupposing there is a Linux virus out
there to install ]

1) Download virus
2) navigate to where virus is and make the file executable
3) Execute the file

It's the manual nature of the install that makes it nearly impossible to
get a virus onto a linux system. On Windows systems the user is
continuously in "root" [ admin mode ]. Virus writers can exploit this
and have things that install without the users knowledge. So far this
can't be done in Linux. [ unless your running your system in admin mode
at the time ]
--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
just pee on it and walk away
Clay Weber
2009-06-15 15:23:09 UTC
Post by Mark Greenwood
[...]
You have it pretty good :)
Otherwise a linux virus would have to determine both an admin username AND
it's password to install itself, which in Ubuntu-based systems is harder as
there is no native 'root' account.
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net
http://emacdogsports.com
Steven Vollom
2009-06-17 04:17:25 UTC
Post by Mark Greenwood
Steven,
What, if any, programs did you install just before the problem started.??
Only Wine and e-Sword. I did reinstall the OS a short time ago. I have a new
mounting system that should eliminate my many mounting problems of the past.

80gb HDD

/ 20gb
/swap 2gb
/home/steven/svpersonal 58gb

200gb HDD

/home 100gb
/home/steven/backup 99gb

Before everything was /media mounted. It always seemed to screw things up. I
have been told it is because /media is more or less reserved for things like
CDROMs and the like. In any event it is a dream, in use.

After trying everything I could think of and because the day the problem
happened hardly anyone was on the list, I formatted and reinstalled the OS
thinking that if a virus, I would get rid of it that way.

When I booted the first time, there was the desktop exactly as I left it. All
of .kde was in the /home drive, so when I installed it was unaffected, in fact
the only thing I had to reinstall was wine. Still the problem remained
exactly as before.

Everything still works except anything that allows you to get information out
of the computer or in.

Most cordially,

Post by Mark Greenwood
Steven,
What, if any, programs did you install just before the problem started.??
I know you were working on e-Sword just before but did you install
_ANYTHING_ other than that?
I finally got e-Sword installed. It is just great. I made a major change,
however it was with the guidance of a proven expert with Kubuntu systems and I
trust his advice implicitly. It had to do with mounting.

For many years I have had problems relating to mounting. I have always used
/media for partitions followed by their partition identity. It has repeatedly
caused me problems, I think because Kubuntu has more or less reserved /media
for things like CD roms and the like. In any event a dear friend and
excellent expert suggested the following. I will show you how the problem
computer is mounted. It wasn't done long before my problem.

I have two drives, 1 80gb and 1 200gb.

the 80 is mounted as follows:

/ 20gb
/swap 2gb
/home/steven/svpersonal 58gb

the 200gb HDD is mounted as follows:

/home 100gb
/home/steven/backup 99gb

The desirable part of this method of mounting is the fact that if an
application or the OS screw up the system enough to require a re-install of
the OS, little is lost in the exchange. All configurations remain in tact,
All email folders and settings and bookmarks remain unaffected. And all stored
data is preserved. Only the boot partition is affected plus perhaps a couple
of 3rd party installations like wine have to be reinstalled. I love it and
don't plan to change this configuration of partitions ever.

That is the only change, plus wine and e-sword. And they both still work fine.
Everything in my computer works normally excepting anything that connects to
the Internet. Package Managers are useless. Konsole is useless for adding
software. Browser doesn't work at all, and no email. I think email will
receive, but not send. So receiving email on the bad computer complicates
things even more because it is hare to transfer any data off the computer.

I typed in ipconfig in the shell; it came up just fine. I copied the data to an
odt and put it in a thumb drive, but when I opened the thumb drive on my
laptop the file was not there. Drag and drop did not work, neither did copy
and paste. The data would not stay in the thumb.

Whenever someone asked for my ipconfig, I had to type it into the email on the
laptop. I am missing part of an important finger so I make lots of mistakes
when I type things like you find in a ipconfig file. Finally, I made a copy of
the file in my laptop so I can attach or paste it to an email, and of course,
since I have it, no one asks for it anymore.

Well, I am in and out of root, when I need to, but only when it is necessary
to install something.

I am sure it isn't a virus, but it sure behaves like one. Every feature that
broke had to do with getting information out of the computer, even to the
extent of not being able to copy to a flash drive and copy a document into
another computer. Otherwise everything operates normally. And the implied
threat in the email planted the thought in the beginning. The neat thing that
is happening here is that I am learning a bunch more stuff that I would have
had to wait for if it hadn't happened.

I'd rather not look so stupid, but I am not the brightest bulb on the tree.
I'm just that crazy steven again. This one sure has a lot of people thinking
though. I hope it prospers the group. I was just warned of someone trying to
redirect my mail. What is that all about. They gave me option for
redirection but no identity. I canceled it; that was right, wasn't it?

Well friend.got to finish up a couple of replies and get some sleep.

Steven

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }I wrote my daughter an email. Her
[...]
Shabakthanai, my gmail pseudonymOn Sunday 14 June 2009 02:57:20 pm Mark
Greenwood wrote:

Now your daughter can thank you for the enormous amount of spam that
will be coming her way. You should never post anyones email address on
a public list unless you know the ramifications. Bots will harvest this
address and plug her inbox with more offers of Viagra than she could
shake a wood stick at.

Joel.
Steven Vollom
2009-06-19 15:36:34 UTC
Post by Joel Oliver
[...]
Thanks Joel. I wish I could have known that sooner. I still don't know the
things that can cause damage. I appreciate the information.

Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my ISP,
and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem. How can I
download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive and install it on
my infected computer? Thanks!
Steven
An infected computer is a Windows computer!

Klamav, a linux program, cant correct a Windows computer.
--
Martin Laberge
mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
mlsoftlaberge at hotmail.com
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
Steven Vollom
mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
mlsoftlaberge at hotmail.com
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
Cell:(418)575-2945
*** 30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning... ***
I don't have Windows at all. What gave you that impression?I have not heard
from her since then, and I have sent follow-up emails. I also have an aunt
and uncle that are quite old and are both in having surgery right now. I was
contacted by my cousin, but I don't remember if that happened since the
problem started, but because I have not heard any follow up from the
surgeries, I fear I passed a virus to her. I have not received any mail from
anyone using Windows since this happened, unless the list or a member is using
windows, which is doubtful, I would think.

I have jaunty kde 4.2.2. I am not dual boot. My daughter's computers are
Windows though and I got emails through to her when the problem started and
before it locked up my ability to send. The computer still continues to
function for other things, just nothing involving Internet connection. I have
not heard back from her, and that is very unusual. We usually communicate
several times each day.

mlsoftlaberge at gmail.com
mlsoftlaberge at hotmail.com
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
Cell:(418)575-2945
*** 30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning... ***
I don't have Windows at all. What gave you that impression?I have not
heard from her since then, and I have sent follow-up emails. I also have
an aunt and uncle that are quite old and are both in having surgery
right now. I was contacted by my cousin, but I don't remember if that
happened since the problem started, but because I have not heard any
follow up from the surgeries, I fear I passed a virus to her.
As much as I am with you worrying about your relatives, this
conclusion is bulshit, to put it mildly. When you got mail
from Linux, you can also get Mail from Windows. And when you
do not hear from someone you love, there may be thousands of
reasons why this happens. Unless you KNOW FOR SURE, that a
virus originating from your linuy machine is the reason why
you do not get mail from other users, it is very likely to
assume other reasons.

I have not
received any mail from anyone using Windows since this happened, unless
the list or a member is using windows, which is doubtful, I would think.
Again, the very same applies.

Either you take a break or you fresh up your mind somehow.
Then let's step back and try to solve your problems, one by one.

After you return from your break, please issue this command
on your laptop:
sudo ifconfig

usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
beginning with 192.168.x.y

Then fire up one of your non working machines and issue the
same command, please.

Then report back, waht you found on both machines. This will
give us a first hint about your netwrok structure and
whether you problem machine will be on the netwrok or not.

Kind regards
Eberhard
Lisi Reisz
2009-06-14 21:17:09 UTC
Post by Eberhard Roloff
After you return from your break, please issue this command
sudo ifconfig
usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
beginning with 192.168.x.y
Eberhard -

Stephen said that he cannot connect through his router, but only directly
through his DSL modem. If this is correct, and if the term DSL modem means
the same thing his side of the pond as it does here (by no means a forgone
conclusion), his laptop must be connecting directly with his ISP, probably
with a dynamic IP, and it is not going to tell us anything about his network.

Lisi
David McGlone
2009-06-15 01:37:11 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
After you return from your break, please issue this command
sudo ifconfig
usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
beginning with 192.168.x.y
Eberhard -
Stephen said that he cannot connect through his router, but only directly
through his DSL modem. If this is correct, and if the term DSL modem means
the same thing his side of the pond as it does here (by no means a forgone
conclusion), his laptop must be connecting directly with his ISP, probably
with a dynamic IP, and it is not going to tell us anything about his network.
It might not reveal much, but it will give us a starting point. It'll help us
figure out whether he is calling his modem a router or he actually has a
router.

I used to think the way you do, and I failed the A+ Cert 1 time because of
that thinking.

After 10 years, I learned to start with the most simplest of problems and work
your way up.

A perfect example, last year I got a computer in for repair, I tried turning
it on No fan, no lights, zilch, Nada. My first reaction was the power supply,
so I drive 25 minutes to get a new power supply, popped it in and still got
zilch, no power, no lights. I assumed they sold me a bad power supply so I
returned it, popped in the new one an hour later, still Nada.

Finally I took the faceplate to check the wiring to the power button and found
that the plastic "stem" on the power button that pushes the button on the
chassis was broken!

So I put the original power supply back in and returned the brand new one once
again, replaced the power button on the case and the computer is still working
to this day.
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
Billie Erin Walsh
2009-06-15 01:47:38 UTC
Post by David McGlone
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
[...]
Sometimes the simplest problems are the hardest to fix. Simple problems
are often overlooked because they are so simple.
just pee on it and walk away
Steven Vollom
2009-06-15 04:24:54 UTC
Post by Billie Erin Walsh
Post by David McGlone
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
After you return from your break, please issue this command
sudo ifconfig
steven at steven-laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:02:93:4f:8c
inet addr:192.168.1.64 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::208:2ff:fe93:4f8c/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:74112186 (74.1 MB) TX bytes:8969135 (8.9 MB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1920 (1.9 KB) TX bytes:1920 (1.9 KB)

steven at steven-laptop:~$

At the moment, I am connected directly to the DSL modem, not the router.
Post by Billie Erin Walsh
Post by David McGlone
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
[...]
That sounds like the problem with my laptop.
Post by Billie Erin Walsh
Sometimes the simplest problems are the hardest to fix. Simple problems
are often overlooked because they are so simple.
--
Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
just pee on it and walk away
Do you want me to reconnect to the router. I don't have it set up to operate
wirelessly, it is just set up to serve two cabled computers. It is not a
problem. I believe we are on the same side of the water with terminology. My
modem is a DSL modem telephone in, power in, Eth cable to computer.

The router is a D-link Air Plus extreme wireless, but I don't have it set up
for wireless. I really don't need it that way at the moment.

Thanks!
Steven

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Dear Steven,
Post by Steven Vollom
steven at steven-laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:02:93:4f:8c
inet addr:192.168.1.64 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
Excellent, this means:
Your laptop is on a private network, getting an IP Adress.
Post by Steven Vollom
steven at steven-laptop:~$
At the moment, I am connected directly to the DSL modem, not the router.
Honestly, I am slightly confused. A real DSL-Modem, as Lisi
pointed out, does not act as a dhcp server, but connects you
directly to the internet. Obviously, your laptop is not
connected directly to the internet, but is residing behind
some kind of routing device, Otherwise imho it would not get
a 192.168.1.64 address.

So, what is the exact name and model of your "dsl-modem"?
Post by Steven Vollom
Do you want me to reconnect to the router. I don't have it set up to
operate wirelessly, it is just set up to serve two cabled computers.
No!
Post by Steven Vollom
It
is not a problem. I believe we are on the same side of the water with
terminology. My modem is a DSL modem telephone in, power in, Eth cable
to computer.
maybe ;-)

Okay then.
Simply have your laptop switched on, just at it is.
This is just, since I remember you fear, that it will not
start up, when you power it down.

Now remove the ethernet cable from the laptop and plug the
very same, known_working_good cable into your desktop.
Should the cable be to short, just move the desktop to where
the cable fits.

Then fire up the desktop which does not connect to the internet.

What happens?
what does
"sudo ifconfig"
show?

By doing this test, I put my money on you having problems
with your "multiple ethernet-router-switch..."-devices
inside your network, once again. I remember vaguely that
network problems of this kind at your site were the reason
for very long threads, some time ago. ;-)

After having done the test with the desktop, you can easily
reconnect the ethernet cable to your laptop and it will
work, just as before.
Post by Steven Vollom
The router is a D-link Air Plus extreme wireless, but I don't have it
set up for wireless. I really don't need it that way at the moment.
No problem. I also only use wireless when I absolutely
cannot do without it.

Kind regards
Eberhard
David McGlone
2009-06-15 09:49:52 UTC
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Dear Steven,
Post by Steven Vollom
The router is a D-link Air Plus extreme wireless, but I don't have it
set up for wireless. I really don't need it that way at the moment.
No problem. I also only use wireless when I absolutely
cannot do without it.
I bet he may have somehow set up a static IP and when he unhooked his router,
he did not switch back to using a dynamic IP.
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
Steven Vollom
2009-06-16 20:31:40 UTC
(trim)
Post by David McGlone
I bet he may have somehow set up a static IP and when he unhooked his
router, he did not switch back to using a dynamic IP.
That sounds right, I don't even know the difference. Could that be the
problem? Not switching to a dynamic IP. If so, I have to learn the
differenced in those things. Thanks David.

Steven
Post by David McGlone
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Steven Vollom
(trim)
Post by David McGlone
I bet he may have somehow set up a static IP and when he unhooked his
router, he did not switch back to using a dynamic IP.
That sounds right, I don't even know the difference. Could that be the
problem? Not switching to a dynamic IP. If so, I have to learn the
differenced in those things. Thanks David.
The entries that David and me gave you for
/etc/network/interfaces

attempt to switch you network card to dynamic, which means
that the card will get an IP from your dsl device at startup.

Well, at some point in the not to distant future, when all
your machines will be working again, we might be good
advised to have a look a your router and then use a more
logical setup, so that you will connect the WAN port of your
router to your modem and then connect each computer of yours
to the router LAN ports.

Doing it like this, your router will be back to where it is
good, i.e. routing. ;-)

Then any machine within your network can connect via dhcp
and you will have a clear network structure thah is easy to
manage.

Kind regards
Eberhard
Steven Vollom
2009-06-16 19:53:47 UTC
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Dear Steven,
Post by Steven Vollom
steven at steven-laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:02:93:4f:8c
inet addr:192.168.1.64 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 it
Post by Steven Vollom
steven at steven-laptop:~$
At the moment, I am connected directly to the DSL modem, not the router.
it
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Honestly, I am slightly confused. A real DSL-Modem, as Lisi
pointed out, does not act as a dhcp server, but connects you
directly to the internet. Obviously, your laptop is not
connected directly to the internet, but is residing behind
some kind of routing device, Otherwise imho it would not get
a 192.168.1.64 address.
So, what is the exact name and model of your "dsl-modem"?
Westell
Modem Access Code
5263820374
S/N 0BAK11091950

MAC: 00183AE7343E
ADSL2+ ROUTER

Style:MSTATEA

For advanced Device Configuration go to: http://192.168.1.254

(Trim)
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Okay then.
Simply have your laptop switched on, just at it is.
This is just, since I remember you fear, that it will not
start up, when you power it down.
Now remove the ethernet cable from the laptop and plug the
very same, known_working_good cable into your desktop.
Should the cable be to short, just move the desktop to where
the cable fits.
Then fire up the desktop which does not connect to the internet.
What happens?
Same error message. Unknown Host.
Post by Eberhard Roloff
what does
"sudo ifconfig"
show?
I have to type this, it is the only way I can get it. I tried a thumb drive
yesterday; it showed the fine transfer to the thumb drive, but when I opened
the thumb int the laptop, it did not show there.

eth0 Link encap;Ethernet HWaddr 00:0d:88:1c:a7:71
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)t
Interrupt:18 Bse adddress:0xd800

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:05:39:47:8d
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.) B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Interrupt:18 Base address:0xd400

eth2 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:74:d4:1f:3a
inet addr:192.168.1.64 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
iinet6 addr: fe80::208:74ff:fec4:1f3a/64 Scope:Link
TX packets:14 errors:0 dropped 0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:3100 (3.1 KB) TX bytes:2904 (2.9 KB)

Lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0b
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:24 errors:0 dropped;0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0)
RX bytes:1144 (1l1 KB) TX bytes:1144 (1l1 KB)
Post by Eberhard Roloff
By doing this test, I put my money on you having problems
with your "multiple ethernet-router-switch..."-devices
inside your network, once again. I remember vaguely that
network problems of this kind at your site were the reason
for very long threads, some time ago. ;-)
I am very confused by what you said in the preceding paragraph. What has
changed by doing this test? My memory is pretty bad, but I don't remember
that. After sending, I will search the archives. What you said here sounds
like if I direct connect the modem to the, what I call the infected box, it
should work normally. After I send, I will try direct modem to infected box
and see.
Post by Eberhard Roloff
After having done the test with the desktop, you can easily
reconnect the ethernet cable to your laptop and it will
work, just as before.
When I connect the modem to the laptop, it always works. Are you talking
about connecting the modem to the router and the router to the laptop and
having that work again?
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Post by Steven Vollom
The router is a D-link Air Plus extreme wireless, but I don't have it
set up for wireless. I really don't need it that way at the moment.
No problem. I also only use wireless when I absolutely
cannot do without it.
But I haven't been using wireless, because I can't get it to work. It has not
been a priority though like other things, or I probably would have tried
again. I am not sure where the laptop wireless card is right now anyway.

Wow, if the infected box works direct to modem, I will consider this a
success, even if it still isn't totally cured. Thanks Mucho!

Steven
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Kind regards
Eberhard
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Eberhard Roloff
So, what is the exact name and model of your "dsl-modem"?
Westell
Modem Access Code
5263820374
S/N 0BAK11091950
MAC: ?00183AE7343E
ADSL2+ ROUTER
Steven -

It is a router. It *says* so: ADSL2+ ROUTER

Why would it say it is a router if it is not?? Why would the tests you have
run say that it is a router, which they do, if it is not?

Lisi
Steven Vollom
2009-06-19 15:59:31 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Eberhard Roloff
So, what is the exact name and model of your "dsl-modem"?
Westell
Modem Access Code
5263820374
S/N 0BAK11091950
MAC: 00183AE7343E
ADSL2+ ROUTER
Steven -
It is a router. It *says* so: ADSL2+ ROUTER
Why would it say it is a router if it is not?? Why would the tests you
have run say that it is a router, which they do, if it is not?
I am very sorry, Lisi. You are right. Are all modems routers? I did not
know that. Since I got it it was called a modem. I have only thought of it
that way. Foolishly when I typed the information in, I wasn't looking for or
expecting any statement that it was a router, quite frankly I have to pause
before using the term on either, because I mix them up some. What I have
considered my router is much larger. It has a WAN port and four LAN ports.

The Modem/Router has only the LAN port. Or is it a WAN port?

Steven
Lisi
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Eberhard Roloff
So, what is the exact name and model of your "dsl-modem"?
Westell
Modem Access Code
5263820374
S/N 0BAK11091950
MAC: 00183AE7343E
ADSL2+ ROUTER
Steven -
It is a router. It *says* so: ADSL2+ ROUTER
It looks like an adsl/router combo. Im going to ask this so forgive me if the
question and info has already been uttered, I've slightly lost track of this
thread.

Anway Steven, have you ever had this router working before and did AT&T supply
this router.

Here's what I'm thinking

Steven is trying to connect a second modem to his adsl/router which is also a
dsl modem, and it could be confusing things.
--
Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net
Steven Vollom
2009-06-22 16:42:27 UTC
Post by David McGlone
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Eberhard Roloff
[...]
I am sending this email on the same DSL modem router. Additionally for David.
I am not trying to connect to a second router. I gave that up days ago. I am
just trying to connect the broken computer to the internet using my DSL modem,
which is also a router. Only one connection.

Steven

Eberhard Roloff
2009-06-15 05:50:38 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
After you return from your break, please issue this command
sudo ifconfig
usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
beginning with 192.168.x.y
Eberhard -
Stephen said that he cannot connect through his router, but only directly
through his DSL modem. If this is correct, and if the term DSL modem means
the same thing his side of the pond as it does here (by no means a forgone
conclusion), his laptop must be connecting directly with his ISP, probably
with a dynamic IP, and it is not going to tell us anything about his network.
Lisi
Lisi,
thanks much. I technically agree, since your conclusions are
perfectly right.

However:
I simply cannot imagine that Steven installed ppoe to
directly use the modem.;-) So I placed a bet on him using
the "router", when saying he was using the "modem", whatever
that means.

Kind regards
Eberhard
Lisi Reisz
2009-06-15 07:31:27 UTC
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
[...]
Eberhard,

Events have proved you right. I apologise. :-)

Lisi
Steven Vollom
2009-06-16 19:00:01 UTC
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
[...]
Hello guys,

I know what a router is and what a modem is. I am not confused at all and am
using the proper words to describe each when I write you. My router is a D-
link Air Plus Extreme G. It has the ability to connect to 4 computer using
hard wire. It is not set up to use it wireless, because I don't remember how
to configure it, but I have been using it only like a Hub, so that I could have
a couple of computers connected to the internet at the same time.

David Kuntadi asked me to try a Live CD to see if it would get connection. I
did and it did, on what I call the infected computer. Using the Live CD I
sent an email to the List explaining that connection. It was a reply to David
Kuntadi. The title of the Subject was: Re:command for downloading a package
to save.

I don't really know how it got on that Subject, but it is. I confirmed that
all Kmail configurations are accurate. I checked them letter by letter, number
by number. I did not skip a single entry. The configuration is exactly
correct. Still, what I call the infected computer provides and UNKNOWN HOST
error message for konqueror and kmail. Using the Live CD, what I call the
infected computer works perfect. All the tests were run using a direct
connection to the ISP via a DSL modem. It is small, about an inch high. It
is about 3 inches deep and about 4 inches wide. It has five lights on it. The
first one is Power, the second is Ethernet, the third one is DSL, The fourth
one is Internet, the fifth one is Activity.. This is not confusing me at all.

The router is about 8 inches tall, is about an inch wide and has D-Link
written on its side. It has the words AirPlus Extreme G written on it and
just to make sure I understand, it says Wireless Router. You can relax at
least on this point. I am not trying to be smart, I am just trying to
describe it so thoroughly that you believe I am using the proper words this
time and understand what I am referring to. Several have seemed unsure if I
understand, and I have assured them I do, If you will believe me, it removes
one of the options to consider. If you want, when I use a term, I will
describe what I mean in this way. So many are kindly trying to help, I want
the parts where you are unsure if I know what I am describing is clearly
understood. Each time you are unsure, just say so. If my word isn't good
enough, I will describe as above to remove your doubt or confirm your
assumption.

Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
After you return from your break, please issue this command
sudo ifconfig
usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
beginning with 192.168.x.y
Eberhard -
Stephen said that he cannot connect through his router, but only directly
through his DSL modem. If this is correct, and if the term DSL modem means
the same thing his side of the pond as it does here (by no means a forgone
conclusion), his laptop must be connecting directly with his ISP, probably
with a dynamic IP, and it is not going to tell us anything about his network.
Lisi
It worked fine with the laptop, but I would like you to be aware that I haven't
been using it for other than a method of getting two computers on the Internet
without have to change cables. It just acts as a hub. I think that is the
correct term.

When connected to the problem computer the computer does not recognize either
of them properly. Unless they have changed, even the modem direct connected
will not connect with the browser or email any more.

And yes, my laptop is connected directly to the ISP, on 100% of the time.

And thanks BTW.

Post by Steven Vollom
It worked fine with the laptop, but I would like you to be aware that I
haven't been using it for other than a method of getting two computers
on the Internet without have to change cables. It just acts as a hub. I
think that is the correct term.
When connected to the problem computer the computer does not recognize
either of them properly. Unless they have changed, even the modem direct
connected will not connect with the browser or email any more.
And this is what I would like you to really test, my friend.
Please see my previous mail from 8:09.

Kind regards
Eberhard
Steven Vollom
2009-06-15 07:54:11 UTC
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Post by Martin Laberge
Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with
my ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the
problem. How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a
thumb drive and install it on my infected computer? Thanks!
Steven
An infected computer is a Windows computer!
Klamav, a linux program, cant correct a Windows computer.
Lisi recommended a windows application that I can download and use. When I
tried to copy it to CD the data would not verify, so I don't have it working
yet.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense why people seem to keep saying I
have no virus. Are there no virus' written to screw with Linux? And, won't
a windows virus infest a Linux OS? Just trying to learn. The guy said he was
running Kubuntu, not windows.
Post by Eberhard Roloff
As much as I am with you worrying about your relatives, this
conclusion is bulshit, to put it mildly. When you got mail
from Linux, you can also get Mail from Windows. And when you
do not hear from someone you love, there may be thousands of
reasons why this happens. Unless you KNOW FOR SURE, that a
virus originating from your linuy machine is the reason why
you do not get mail from other users, it is very likely to
assume other reasons.
I received the email the day the email stopped working and could not reply to
an event that was taking place that very day. As soon as I got the laptop
working, I got updated. Whether you understand or not, I don;t know the
things you know, so when my daughter abruptly stops sending emails, I am very
concerned. Murphey's law still works, and may be the case here. I don't
know.
Post by Eberhard Roloff
sudo ifconfig
I think I may be answering this email twice, but it came twice then.
Post by Eberhard Roloff
usually, one of the interfaces will have an address
beginning with 192.168.x.y
Then fire up one of your non working machines and issue the
same command, please.
The broken computer isn't connected at all right now.. I am getting a lot of
help right now that I wasn't getting before and started working on other
things. I have just connected the broken computer; it has power, but is not
connected to the Internet. I haven't been using the routher, because I have
been spending some time trying to fix my new computer.

Do you want me to connect to the router so that the laptop and broken computer
are both connected? Or do just want me to copy and send the ifconfig just the
way it is, not connected to the modem or router. Your plea sounded like you
didn't think I would comply.~ sudo ifconfig

steven at steven-laptop:~$ sudo ifconfig
[sudo] password for steven:
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:02:93:4f:8c
inet addr:192.168.1.64 Bcast:192.168.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: fe80::208:2ff:fe93:4f8c/64 Scope:Link
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:325396917 (325.3 MB) TX bytes:15749526 (15.7 MB)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:1920 (1.9 KB) TX bytes:1920 (1.9 KB)

steven at steven-laptop:~$

steven at Yeshua:~$ sudo ifconfig
[sudo] password for steven:
eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:0d:88:1c:a7:71
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 tx queuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0:0 B) TX bytes:(0:0 B)
Interrupt:17 Base Address:0xd800

eth1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:40:05:39:47:8d
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU 1500 Metric:1
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 tx queuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0:0 B) TX bytes:(0:0 B)
Interrupt:18 Base address:0xd400

eth2 Link encap Ethernet HWaddr 00:08:74:d4:1f:3a
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 tx queuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:(0:0 B)

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
TX packets:132 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 tx queuelen:0
RX bytes:9552 (9.5 KB) TX bytes:9552(9.5 KB)

steven at Yeshua:~$
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Then report back, waht you found on both machines. This will
give us a first hint about your netwrok structure and
whether you problem machine will be on the netwrok or not.
I am sure I did not give you what you wanted for the broken computer, but I
don't know how you want it connected, direct to the modem or to the router.

I connected the broken computer to the router and the laptop to the router;
but the broken computer still will not comunicate. The readings were the same
as when not connected.

Steven
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Martin Laberge
An infected computer is a Windows computer!
Klamav, a linux program, cant correct a Windows computer.
Lisi recommended a windows application that I can download and use. When I
tried to copy it to CD the data would not verify, so I don't have it working
yet.
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense why people seem to keep saying I
have no virus. Are there no virus' written to screw with Linux? And, won't
a windows virus infest a Linux OS? Just trying to learn. The guy said he was
running Kubuntu, not windows.
If you are interested in the topic, google for "linux viruses". Here an
example of the results:

http://librenix.com/?inode=21

I.
Steven Vollom
2009-06-16 21:02:00 UTC
Post by Ignazio Palmisano
Post by Steven Vollom
Post by Martin Laberge
An infected computer is a Windows computer!
Klamav, a linux program, cant correct a Windows computer.
Lisi recommended a windows application that I can download and use. When
I tried to copy it to CD the data would not verify, so I don't have it
working yet.
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense why people seem to keep
saying I have no virus. Are there no virus' written to screw with
Linux? And, won't a windows virus infest a Linux OS? Just trying to
learn. The guy said he was running Kubuntu, not windows.
If you are interested in the topic, google for "linux viruses". Here an
http://librenix.com/?inode=21
I.
Thanks again, and yes I am interested.

Post by Eberhard Roloff
Post by Eberhard Roloff
Post by Martin Laberge
Post by Steven Vollom
my ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the
problem. How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a
thumb drive and install it on my infected computer? Thanks!
Steven
An infected computer is a Windows computer!
Klamav, a linux program, cant correct a Windows computer.
Lisi recommended a windows application that I can download and use. When
I tried to copy it to CD the data would not verify, so I don't have it
working yet.
No, Lisi recommended to download a linux based CD rom that
is mainly used to scan windows computer for virusses. And
there are reasons for this. ;-)

However, as it is a boot CD, it can most probably also scan
linux machines, should you need it for that purpose.
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense why people seem to keep
saying I have no virus. Are there no virus' written to screw with Linux?
And, won't a windows virus infest a Linux OS? Just trying to learn. The
guy said he was running Kubuntu, not windows.
There are no known virus attacks for Linux since ever and up
to this very moment.
Post by Eberhard Roloff
As much as I am with you worrying about your relatives, this
conclusion is bulshit, to put it mildly. When you got mail
from Linux, you can also get Mail from Windows. And when you
do not hear from someone you love, there may be thousands of
reasons why this happens. Unless you KNOW FOR SURE, that a
virus originating from your linuy machine is the reason why
you do not get mail from other users, it is very likely to
assume other reasons.
I received the email the day the email stopped working and could not
reply to an event that was taking place that very day. As soon as I got
the laptop working, I got updated. Whether you understand or not, I
don;t know the things you know, so when my daughter abruptly stops
sending emails, I am very concerned.
I perfectly understand your concerns. Have you tried to
phone her to see what is going on?

Murphey's law still works, and may
be the case here. I don't know.
It surely will. ;-))
The broken computer isn't connected at all right now.. I am getting a
lot of help right now that I wasn't getting before and started working
on other things. I have just connected the broken computer; it has
power, but is not connected to the Internet. I haven't been using the
routher, because I have been spending some time trying to fix my new
computer.
This does not matter to me. When your Laptop works ok, my
advice is to connect any non working Computer of your to
exactly the same end of the cable that is now plugged into
the Laptop.
Do you want me to connect to the router so that the laptop and broken
computer are both connected?
No

Or do just want me to copy and send the
ifconfig just the way it is, not connected to the modem or router. Your
plea sounded like you didn't think I would comply.~ sudo ifconfig
well, there is no need to comply. On the other hand, it does
not make much sense to use ifconfig to show the network
configuration when the network is not connected, does it?
steven at Yeshua:~$ sudo ifconfig
eth0 Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:0d:88:1c:a7:71
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
collisions:0 tx queuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0:0 B) TX bytes:(0:0 B)
Interrupt:17 Base Address:0xd800
and more....

As I said, this is useless, when the computer is not connected.
I am sure I did not give you what you wanted for the broken computer,
but I don't know how you want it connected, direct to the modem or to
the router.
Directly to the modem, using the very same cable end that is
now plugged into the laptop.

And please connect the cable before you start the broken
computer machine.
I connected the broken computer to the router and the laptop to the
router; but the broken computer still will not comunicate. The readings
were the same as when not connected.
Let's see whether this happens, when connected to the cable
that is now connected to the Laptop.

Then we will proceed from there.
This will probably mean that you will need to reattach the
former laptop cable from the broken desktop back to the
laptop, again.

kind regards

Eberhard
Lisi Reisz
2009-06-15 22:29:37 UTC
Post by Eberhard Roloff
No, Lisi recommended to download a linux based CD rom that
is mainly used to scan windows computer for virusses. And
there are reasons for this. ;-)
However, as it is a boot CD, it can most probably also scan
linux machines, should you need it for that purpose.
It can. I have used it to track down Windows viruses residing on my husband's
computer, so that he does not send them on to his many Windows using
friends.

Lisi
Steven Vollom
2009-06-17 17:14:06 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Eberhard Roloff
No, Lisi recommended to download a linux based CD rom that
is mainly used to scan windows computer for virusses. And
there are reasons for this. ;-)
However, as it is a boot CD, it can most probably also scan
linux machines, should you need it for that purpose.
It can. I have used it to track down Windows viruses residing on my
husband's computer, so that he does not send them on to his many Windows
using friends.
Lisi
I downloaded it, copied it to CD; when finished with copy, during verification
it reported that the data did not agree. I downloaded again and copied to CD.
Again during verification it reported that the data did not agree. I also
tried the CD's to see if they might load anyway. They did not. I just don't
know what else to do. Thanks for trying.

Post by Steven Vollom
I downloaded it, copied it to CD; when finished with copy, during
verification it reported that the data did not agree. I downloaded
again and copied to CD.
Again during verification it reported that the data did not agree. I
also tried the CD's to see if they might load anyway. They did not. I
just don't know what else to do. Thanks for trying.
Steven
Did you just copy the file to the CD or did you burn the ISO?
just pee on it and walk away
Goh Lip
2009-06-18 05:35:02 UTC
Post by Billie Erin Walsh
Post by Steven Vollom
I downloaded it, copied it to CD; when finished with copy, during
verification it reported that the data did not agree. I downloaded
again and copied to CD.
Again during verification it reported that the data did not agree. I
also tried the CD's to see if they might load anyway. They did not. I
just don't know what else to do. Thanks for trying.
Steven
Did you just copy the file to the CD or did you burn the ISO?
Steven, understand you're on ext4 on all your partitions.
F-secure cdlive cannot scan ext4 yet.
Forget this road.(Don't waste your time)

Regards,
Goh Lip
Steven Vollom
2009-06-19 20:55:14 UTC
Post by Goh Lip
Post by Billie Erin Walsh
Post by Steven Vollom
I downloaded it, copied it to CD; when finished with copy, during
verification it reported that the data did not agree. I downloaded
again and copied to CD.
Again during verification it reported that the data did not agree. I
also tried the CD's to see if they might load anyway. They did not. I
just don't know what else to do. Thanks for trying.
Steven
Did you just copy the file to the CD or did you burn the ISO?
Steven, understand you're on ext4 on all your partitions.
F-secure cdlive cannot scan ext4 yet.
Forget this road.(Don't waste your time)
Regards,
Goh Lip
I am so honored that you and Dotan and others keep an eye on me to help me
sharpen up. I read your last communication to help him and the article. It
is ahead of me yet to think like that but I do admire the guys who figure these
things out.

Anyway, no I do not have ext4 partitions. My new box is down until I can get
a ride to a shop to test things I can not test in the studio. That is a tough
problem for me, because it may take months. In fact the computer that is
giving me the current trouble is the old computer that was replaced by the new
one. I don't have the same fine components, so I haven't moved it up to the
ext 4 file system. The primary boot partition and all storage partitions are
ext3. It is a P4 2.3ghz with 512mb of ram.

One of my best expert friends suggested the complete changeover to ext4 with
my new computer due to it's greater capabilities and higher end components. I
always do what he, or you, or Dotan advise. Still I show respect for anyone
who helps me from the list.

I burned to it to ISO. I have been using that term improperly and no one has
noticed. More accurately stated through my thought pattern is I copied the
data to a blank CD Media using K3b to burn it. Even that is probably wrong
terminology, however, I try my best to make a description that is more or less
obvious until I know the terminology. Then I change. I have tried to think
what copied to CD would mean that is different from that, but I don't know what
it would be. Suffice it to say, from now on, if I am burning anything to a CD,
I will say just that.

Perhaps because I am in ext3, I can f-secure cdlive, whatever that means.
Just to see if I could supply additional data, I typed f-secure cdlive in a
non-root shell to see if it might give you the data you did not think possible
from my system due to thinking it is ext4. I did not feel that I was
experimenting because I was not in root, if Myriam is listening in. As
always, thanks for looking in.

Post by Steven Vollom
Steven
Did you just copy the file to the CD or did you burn the ISO?
I Burned the ISO. I am sorry about terminology. I have no one to talk with
computers about, so my use of terms is not yet always correct. Communicating
with the list has helped a lot, but I have not caught up yet. I will try to
remember this mis-statement in the future. What I was thinking when I said
that was I copied the data to a blank CD media using a Burner.

Post by Steven Vollom
I connected the broken computer to the router and the laptop to the
router; but the broken computer still will not comunicate. The readings
were the same as when not connected.
Let's see whether this happens, when connected to the cable
that is now connected to the Laptop.
Then we will proceed from there.
This will probably mean that you will need to reattach the
former laptop cable from the broken desktop back to the
laptop, again.
kind regards
Eberhard
About ifconfig, it didn't make any sense to me either, but I have learned that
I don't understand things the way you do, many times, so I just do as told.
That way if it is not necessary the data can be rejected, but if I make a
decision to not include something that doesn't make sense to me, I may be
wrong and then am considered stubborn or whatever. I just typed it in so that
it was there if it should be and you wanted it.

By the way, any time I am comparing the laptop with the other computer, I use
the exact same cables--everything that is used and done to the one, is
duplicated the exact same way on the other, so that the test is accurate.

Post by Steven Vollom
About ifconfig, it didn't make any sense to me either, but I have
learned that I don't understand things the way you do, many times, so I
just do as told.
Steven, no problem. I do this myself more to often, just as
well. However this is dangerous. Imagine someone gave you
wrong advice, that would distroy your data.

So it is way better to understand what you do before you do
it. And if in doubt, your will have the guts to ask about it.

Post by Steven Vollom
rejected, but if I make a decision to not include something that doesn't
make sense to me, I may be wrong and then am considered stubborn or
whatever. I just typed it in so that it was there if it should be and
you wanted it.
By the way, any time I am comparing the laptop with the other computer,
I use the exact same cables--everything that is used and done to the
one, is duplicated the exact same way on the other, so that the test is
accurate.
Excellent. This is about the only way to not bring more
(potential) problems to the equation.

Take care out there
Eberhard
Lisi Reisz
2009-06-15 08:47:32 UTC
Lisi recommended a windows application that I can download and use. ?
Steven -
I didn't. I recommended a live CD that can check Windows computers. The live
CD is itself Linux.

Lisi
Steven Vollom
2009-06-16 20:37:49 UTC
Post by Lisi Reisz
Post by Steven Vollom
Lisi recommended a windows application that I can download and use.
Steven -
I didn't. I recommended a live CD that can check Windows computers. The
live CD is itself Linux.
Lisi
I am sorry, but I don't think I can understand here. I don't have a windows
comuter: I have wine, though. Memory is already fading on the subject, but I
did download and run a virus application and found a worm in the Thunderbird
application. I forget the term they used, but I apparently isolated it from
the rest of my data. I requested knowledge about what a worm is. Is it a
virus? Or is it like spyware or something like that?

Anyway because of the consensus that I don't have a virus, I am proceeding
like I don't have a virus and not giving that any thought anymore. I can be
more useful to those who are helping me if I am not in contention at the same
time. I trust you all over myself. See I am not as dumn as you thought. Hah!

Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my ISP,
and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem. How can I
download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive and install it on
my infected computer? Thanks!
Steven
Go to packages.ubuntu.org/jaunty/klamav

Click on your architechture (x86 or amd64)

Click on a mirror to download it from

-l <dependancy> for each one)

If you don't have one, click on the dependency, and repeat the steps.
Remember you also need the dependencies of the dependency, and the
dependencies of the dependencies of the dependency...

Put all the files you downloaded onto a thumb drive and put it in the
computer. Browse to the directory with them in from a terminal.

Type sudo dpkg -i *.deb

If you get an error, you didn't download the dependencies correctly. Try
again.
David Kuntadi
2009-06-15 01:53:23 UTC
On Sun, Jun 14, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Steven
Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my ISP,
and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem. ?How can I
download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive and install it on
my infected computer? ?Thanks!
Was this computer ever able to connect to internet before?

DK
Steven Vollom
2009-06-15 04:08:03 UTC
Post by Steven Vollom
A virus has blocked me from sending emails, from communicating with my
ISP, and now from downloading an application that may fix the problem.
How can I download Klamov to a file, so I can copy it on a thumb drive
and install it on my infected computer? Thanks!
Was this computer ever able to connect to internet before?
DK
Yes David. It worked through the router. It worked direct to the DSL modem.
It never was a problem that I can remember.

Steven

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Steven
Yes David. It worked through the router. It worked direct to the DSL modem.
It never was a problem that I can remember.
In that case, could you try to use live cd on the computer you said
have virus. Let me know whether or not the live cd could connect to
internet.

DK
Steven Vollom
2009-06-16 18:28:58 UTC
Post by David Kuntadi
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Steven
Yes David. It worked through the router. It worked direct to the DSL
modem. It never was a problem that I can remember.
In that case, could you try to use live cd on the computer you said
have virus. Let me know whether or not the live cd could connect to
internet.
DK
Hi David,

I tried your suggestion and used the live CD. Email worked perfectly. I
apologize for the email I posted where I forgot who posted. I just came in
from a fall I took in the back yard. Almost knocked myself out, I hit my head
so hard. After I send this, I may be off line for a few minutes, I don't feel
well. I will try again later.

After successfully sending and receiving email from the live CD, I booted
again and tried connecting with Kmail, first. I got this error message:
Error-Kmail

Unknown host
pop.att.yahoo.com
I checked configuration and everything was as it should be. Next I tried to
connect using the browser. The error message reads Unknown Host and doesn't
work..

When I configured Kmail using the Live CD, I used the exact same settings as
are on the normal application. I want to remind you too, that I got this same
error, prior to re-installing Jaunty to try to fix the problem. I know it
probably is not a virus, everyone is certain, but so that I can explain and
not confuse you which machine and stuff, I am going to talk like it has a
virus.

The infected machine had the Unknown Host for browser and unknown host for
kmail. Live CD did not. Both Kmail and Konqueror worked normally. The
infected computer was formatted and reinstalled, and still had Unknown host
for both Kmail and Konqueror. All of this has just now been tested with a
direct connection to the ISP via the DSL modem. Thanks! I am encouraged that
the Live CD worked. Apparently it is not a hardware problem. Thanks friend.

Post by Steven Vollom
After successfully sending and receiving email from the live CD, I booted
Error-Kmail
Unknown host
pop.att.yahoo.com
I checked configuration and everything was as it should be. Next I tried
to connect using the browser. The error message reads Unknown Host and
doesn't work..
When I configured Kmail using the Live CD, I used the exact same settings
as are on the normal application. I want to remind you too, that I got
this same error, prior to re-installing Jaunty to try to fix the problem.
I know it probably is not a virus, everyone is certain, but so that I can
explain and not confuse you which machine and stuff, I am going to talk
like it has a virus.
If your /etc/network/interfaces looks anything else than this:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

Then rename it and create another one with that content. Reboot the computer
WITH the ethernet cable connected to both the cabel modem and the computer and
I'll bet you're online.
NetworkManager should take care of getting an IP-address via DHCP.
--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Olsen

Til uvedkommende, der l?ser med: Der er ingen grund til at l?se min mail.
Jeg har intet at g?re med FARC, al-Jihad, al-Qaida, Hamas, Hizb al-Mujahidin
eller ETA.
Jeg har aldrig gjort Zakat, g?r ikke ind for Istishad, har ikke lavet en
bilbombe eller kernev?ben og jeg ved d?rligt nok, hvad Al Manar og ?????
betyder.
Men tak for den udviste interesse
Eberhard Roloff
2009-06-16 19:15:09 UTC
Post by Thomas Olsen
Post by Steven Vollom
After successfully sending and receiving email from the live CD,
Ok, this means, that your hardware is okay.

I booted
Post by Thomas Olsen
Post by Steven Vollom
Error-Kmail
Unknown host
pop.att.yahoo.com
I checked configuration and everything was as it should be. Next I tried
to connect using the browser. The error message reads Unknown Host and
doesn't work..
This means, the PC currently is not connected to the network
Post by Thomas Olsen
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0
I would not count on the network manager being installed and
working. Instead I would add this for eth0:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

After reboot, you should be good to go.

Kind regards
Eberhard
Thomas Olsen
2009-06-16 19:32:00 UTC
Post by Eberhard Roloff
I would not count on the network manager being installed and
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
After reboot, you should be good to go.
That ought to work too.

Steven Vollom
2009-06-19 16:03:16 UTC
Post by Thomas Olsen
Post by Eberhard Roloff
I would not count on the network manager being installed and
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
After reboot, you should be good to go.
That ought to work too.
--
Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen
Thomas Olsen
Til uvedkommende, der l?ser med: Der er ingen grund til at l?se min mail.
Jeg har intet at g?re med FARC, al-Jihad, al-Qaida, Hamas, Hizb
al-Mujahidin eller ETA.
Jeg har aldrig gjort Zakat, g?r ikke ind for Istishad, har ikke lavet en
bilbombe eller kernev?ben og jeg ved d?rligt nok, hvad Al Manar og ?????
betyder.
Men tak for den udviste interesse
I did; it did not. Same response Unknown Host.

Post by Eberhard Roloff
Post by Thomas Olsen
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0
I would not count on the network manager being installed and
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
After reboot, you should be good to go.
Kind regards
Eberhard
I have already done that and it did not change anything. It is currently set
as follows:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

I hope it is correct. Nonetheless it still gives the Unknown Host.

Post by Thomas Olsen
Post by Steven Vollom
[...]
I ran that test earlier today and it did not work. I am currently at the
following settings in interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.0.0.0

auto eth0
iface ethho0 inet dhcp

as per previous instruction.

Post by David Kuntadi
On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Steven
Yes David. It worked through the router. It worked direct to the DSL
modem. It never was a problem that I can remember.
In that case, could you try to use live cd on the computer you said
have virus. Let me know whether or not the live cd could connect to
internet.
DK
I could have sworn that I answered this email, but it must have resent, oh
well, I will answer it in case two people wrote the same thing. Yes mail and
browser work on the infected computer when the Live CD is installed. They
work perfectly. And when I open the same computer to it's infected state, I
get unknown host, both email and browser.

Steven