Lost Display Settings
John Durant
2007-02-04 22:28:48 UTC
Hi,

After installing Edgy on a Compaq lap with an ati video chipset all
video settings were lost. Scenario went like this:

- Installed Edgy on laptop with CRT attached. Default resolution set at
1400x1050. After some font sizing adjustments display looked superb.

- With lid on laptop closed disconnected the monitor to use it with
machine2, also a laptop. Machine2 runs XP SP2 at 1024x768

- Disconnected from machine2, reconnected to Edgy machine.

- Screen resolution went to 640x400 or thereabouts. System would not
allow resetting of display options from Systems Settings,

- Reinstalled Edgy. Again resolution back to 1400x1050, the preferred
setting

Question:

I understand it is probably not a best practice to unplug a monitor
while the machine is running. That being considered, can these display
settings be edited or backed up in case this situation should arise
again? Have checked man pages for xinit and couldn't find this information.

Thanks,
John
Larry Hartman
2007-02-05 01:29:28 UTC
John:

This a combination of how the ATI driver works in conjunction with
the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Your screen resolutions are saved in the
xorg.conf file. I do not know of any way to change this file "on the fly"
without restarting something and/or using SUDO/ROOT. If someone has come up
with a way to do this, I would be very interested. I have fiddled with the
ATI control panel and determined that it was nearly useless.

On occassion I use my laptop with my S-Video port to TV or VGA port to
overhead projector as a second monitor in the ATI Big Desktop mode. You can
set Big Desktop to either clone your primary monitor, or provide an extension
to it off of any of the four sides (up, down, left, right). I use it as an
extension that turns my 1440x900 single monitor desktop to 2048x768 dual
monitor desktop. I use Big Desktop in conjunction with Open Office 2.1
Impress: the latest release allows projecting slideshows on a secondary
monitor. This works out very nicely.

I have two backups of my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. One is for single monitor,
the other for ATI Big Desktop. When I wish to use the Big Desktop, I plug in
my secondary monitor, then copy this backup file over the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
file. Then I restart X with CTRL-ALT-Backspace. The copy procedure has to
be done as SUDO or ROOT. When I am done with dual monitor, I copy the single
monitor backup file over the xorg.conf in the same manner, unplug my
secondary, and restart X. One day I will learn how to make a script so that
I won't need to do the software manipulation manually.

SPECIAL CAUTION: The xorg.conf file can get you into some troubles that will
send you back to command line driven Linux if you don't take care to set it
up properly.

Check out this website (follow instructions for ATI Big Desktop):
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=221174

Larry
John
Lokeey
2007-02-05 12:11:54 UTC
i'm having a similar issue, but for some reason my montior is saying input
out of range...

here's what i did...

i have a monitor with dual I/O signals, DVI and VGA...DVI is going directly
into my linux box...vga was being used for my xbox360.

i was testing out another system and unplugged the 360 to use the vga
port...to go into my other system...at this time i switched the settings on
my monitor from digital to analog...when i was done checking to see what was
on that other box, i disco'd and then i got NO SIGNAL INPUT OUT OF RANGE.

the system boots up fine and i have no issues when i boot up into xp, but
then when i boot up into kubuntu i get the boot display but then when that
completes i get nothing! just a black screen.

anyone have any ideas???
Post by John Durant
[...]
Post by John Durant
Thanks,
John
"I am what I am because of who we all are"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
Post by Lokeey
the system boots up fine and i have no issues when i boot up into xp,
but then when i boot up into kubuntu i get the boot display but then
when that completes i get nothing! just a black screen.
Boot into recovery mode. At the root prompt type:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That will run a program that will rewrite your xorg.conf based on the
settings that you choose (it's the same program that runs during the
alternate install CD).

If for some strange reason, you don't have a recovery mode option on the
grub menu, you can still get to it by pressing e then edit the kernel
line adding the word "single" (without the quotes) at the end, then b to
boot.
Lokeey
2007-02-06 00:05:35 UTC
that didn't work, but i was able to go into recovery mode and noticed that i
had a few different xorg configs and two other xorg configs with fglrx AND i
also had an original config that was backed up when i first installed fglrx
AND I also had my own backup that i had created prior to making my first
changes when i installed fglrx. which i didn't know occurred automatically.

okay, this is still odd that i made zero changes to any xorg.conf file and i
was getting NO SIGNAL INPUT CHECK YOUR VIDEO CABLE INPUT SIGNAL OUT OF RANGE
from my monitor. like i stated previously i only swapped out the xbox vga
cable and replaced with the vga cable that was going into a separate box.
Lokeey
2007-02-06 01:01:35 UTC
that's what i thought too, but it's working just fine...this is driving me
nuts man!!!
Post by Larry Hartman
Possible hardware problem?
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
line adding the word "single" (without the quotes) at the end, then b
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
boot.
"I am what I am because of who we all are"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
okay...it looks like when i swapped out the cables that xorg freaked out
because it was only configured for one monitor and i think that when i
plugged in the other cable and swapped settings on the monitor that it
freaked out and didn't like that very much. at least that is what i'm
guessing what happened. don't you just love an OS with a personality? :)
Post by Lokeey
that's what i thought too, but it's working just fine...this is driving me
nuts man!!!
Post by Larry Hartman
Possible hardware problem?
Post by Lokeey
vga cable and replaced with the vga cable that was going into a
separate
Post by Lokeey
box.
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
line adding the word "single" (without the quotes) at the end, then
b to
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
boot.
"I am what I am because of who we all are"
--
"I am what I am because of who we all are"
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
I think one of the greatest advances that can be made in X is the ability to
auto-sense what monitors are plugged in...I won't hold my breath until it
happens though, sounds way too futuristic.

Looks like you will need to create xorg.conf files for each monitor setup you
need, do the copy routine, restart X, and be very careful about when in the
process you plug/unplug your monitors. Setting up some scripts will help cut
down on your switch over time.
Post by Lokeey
that's what i thought too, but it's working just fine...this is driving
me nuts man!!!
Post by Larry Hartman
Possible hardware problem?
Post by Lokeey
vga cable and replaced with the vga cable that was going into a
separate
Post by Lokeey
box.
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
line adding the word "single" (without the quotes) at the end, then
b to
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
boot.
"I am what I am because of who we all are"
Lokeey
2007-02-06 03:07:56 UTC
yep...i kinda figured something along those lines, so i have two config's
right now. and 2 bkups just in case. thanks again larry!
Post by Lokeey
that's what i thought too, but it's working just fine...this is
driving
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
me nuts man!!!
Post by Larry Hartman
Possible hardware problem?
Post by Lokeey
that didn't work, but i was able to go into recovery mode and
noticed
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Larry Hartman
that
Post by Lokeey
fglrx AND I also had my own backup that i had created prior to
making
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Larry Hartman
my
Post by Lokeey
i was getting NO SIGNAL INPUT CHECK YOUR VIDEO CABLE INPUT SIGNAL
OUT
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Larry Hartman
OF
Post by Lokeey
vga cable and replaced with the vga cable that was going into a
separate
Post by Lokeey
box.
Post by Joe Hart
Post by Lokeey
the system boots up fine and i have no issues when i boot up
into
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Larry Hartman
xp,
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
Post by Lokeey
but then when i boot up into kubuntu i get the boot display
but
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Larry Hartman
then
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
Post by Lokeey
when that completes i get nothing! just a black screen.
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
That will run a program that will rewrite your xorg.conf based
on
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Larry Hartman
the
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
settings that you choose (it's the same program that runs during
the alternate install CD).
If for some strange reason, you don't have a recovery mode
option
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Larry Hartman
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
on
the
Post by Lokeey
Post by Joe Hart
line adding the word "single" (without the quotes) at the end,
then
Post by Lokeey
Post by Lokeey
Post by Larry Hartman
b to
Post by Lokeey
boot.
Post by Larry Hartman
I think one of the greatest advances that can be made in X is the ability to
auto-sense what monitors are plugged in...I won't hold my breath
until it happens though, sounds way too futuristic.
Is this not what the DCC EEPROM in the display unit is supposed to
take care of? Does X not know how to read DCC information?

Ron Morse
Larry Hartman

Ron Morse
John A. Durant
2007-02-06 15:24:12 UTC
Here is an interesting observation:

In my orginal post the sceanario was the xorg settings were lost upon reboot
or disconnecting the monitor. Turns out the Edgy installation program made
only minimal entries into xorg.conf without writing a backup of the file.
After running dpkg as per Larry's suggestions there is a full xorg.conf with
a dated backup and the problem seems to be resolved.

Bad installation disk? Bug in install?

Go figure.

Lokeey
2007-02-06 15:36:54 UTC
very interesting....i had 4 xorg.conf files not including the current
running config...also 2 xorg.conf.original and 2 xorg.conf.fglrx and my
original bkup...so nine total.